SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA

Hello,

I managed to create a couple of lists containing the drivers included on the XP CD.

I now removed the files I wanted tom delete from the cd and also removed their entries in txtsetup.sif, dosnet.inf, defltwk.inf, dwup.inf and sysfiles.inf (the files were referenced in each file).

I tested my new image in VMWare and it installs without errors, but when I have a look at setupapi.log I have several entries like those:

#E169 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT. Error 1223: Der Vorgang wurde durch den Benutzer abgebrochen.

#E169 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT. Error 1223: Der Vorgang wurde durch den Benutzer abgebrochen.

The english version of these lines should be:

#E169 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT. Error 1223: The operation was canceled by the user.

According to Microsofts Guide Troubleshooting Device Installation with the SetupAPI Log File the problem is:

SetupAPI logs a FILEOP_ABORT error if the correct removable media is not present or if a file is missing. A FILEOP_ABORT error message in the log file means that the FILEOP_ABORT error occurred during a server-side (or other noninteractive) installation or that a user canceled the driver installation.

Since the files are definitely on the cd or not referenced in any of the infs I suppose that the problem is, that the files are listes in one or more of the *.cat files.

Does anybody know how to avoid this error?

Please do not post "Use nlite". I tried to remove exactly the same files with nlite and I got errors, too. Since nlite replaces the syssetup.dll setup was not complaining about needed media, but I got many errors saying that syssetup.inf is not signed.

/PITU