Remove Deskbar for Windows Desktop Search 4 (WS4)

timatlee

Hello

As part of installing Office 2007 across a few computers (in a domain), Windows Desktop Search is "recommended" to be installed. So I've rolled out the update to all the computers in the domain.

However, I can't seem to get rid of the deskbar (you know, the search bar that's beside the system tray by default in your taskbar).

It seems that in the 2.x series of WDS, this was controlled by GPO. This option isn't there in 3.x+.

Is there some registry hack you can employ, or some VBS, to default the desktop search toolbar to be off?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hello

As part of installing Office 2007 across a few computers (in a domain), Windows Desktop Search is "recommended" to be installed. So I've rolled out the update to all the computers in the domain.

However, I can't seem to get rid of the deskbar (you know, the search bar that's beside the system tray by default in your taskbar).

It seems that in the 2.x series of WDS, this was controlled by GPO. This option isn't there in 3.x+.

Is there some registry hack you can employ, or some VBS, to default the desktop search toolbar to be off?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Simply right click your Taskbar and under the Toolbars section UNCHECK the Windows Search Deskbar.

No more Deskbar. And you didnt have to uninstal Anything!

Moreover I will try to find a solution for you to deploy the changes easily, or by means of a registry fix. Good Luck with that end of it.

Edited by TheUrbanMyth

Hi Tim,

Simply right click your Taskbar and under the Toolbars section UNCHECK the Windows Search Deskbar.

No more Deskbar. And you didnt have to uninstal Anything!

Moreover I will try to find a solution for you to deploy the changes easily, or by means of a registry fix. Good Luck with that end of it.

Yeah, I can disable it on a per-use basis easily enough - I'm trying to find a way to have it off by default when I deploy a new desktop, or when a new user logs onto a particular machine.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...