Can I update a sysprep image with imagex \append?

Here is our current configuration and process for deploying Windows XP Throughout our organization:

We are using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 with the latest updates on Windows XP (as our testing environment).

We did the following to capture our image:

1)Load base Windows XP Pro Volume License Edition on to our lowest power PC (Dell GX280)

2)Configure PC with default local admin accounts

3)Configure PC with settings (power options, display themes, etc.)

4)Add to the domain

5)Set additional usergroups as admins

6)Install additional programs (Sybase, Adobe stuff, in house apps, etc.)

7)Defragment

8)Remove from domain

9)Run Sysprep on machine

10)Take image with ImageX

After taking the image, we load it onto the MDT server, and configure deployment task sequence (which includes 2 additional applications that the install process will install IF the machine is a laptop).

We are now needing to load additional settings as well as applications that we are not able to install via the imagex \mountrw.

My question is:

I have heard that running sysprep multiple times on one machine, can mess up the PC. If I run sysprep on the same image multiple times, will it mess it up in the same way (I would think so)?

Can I apply the image with MDT, make the modifications, remove it from the domain, then run sysprep, and take an image with imagex using the \append option?

If that is not a viable solution, do I need to restart from scratch with step 1 and then take an image BEFORE I run sysprep? or is there an alternative to restarting from the beginning?

Edited by clodhoppers18

Does anyone have any information in regards to this?

Would it be better to recreate the image from scratch, and take an image of it BEFORE sysprep (using Acronis, or similar), and just make the modifications as needed in the future by applying that image to the same type of machine?

Would it be better to recreate the image from scratch, and take an image of it BEFORE sysprep (using Acronis, or similar), and just make the modifications as needed in the future by applying that image to the same type of machine?

IIRC thats the way Microsoft recommends, one "gold" image, one "factory" and one "sysprepped" image. And with WIMs you dont even waste so much space, since you will only add changed files to the image if you capture append to the same file. (or at least thats how i understand the docs)

Personally I'd use a VM for creating the image, VMware, VirtualBox, VirtualPC, you name it.

Edited by bj-kaiser

IIRC thats the way Microsoft recommends, one "gold" image, one "factory" and one "sysprepped" image.

What do you mean by one "gold" "Factory" and "sysprepped" image? How would that work?

Setup everything, take an image

Sysprep factory seal it, take an image

Sysprep regular and take an image

What would I use the different images for?

What do you mean by one "gold" "Factory" and "sysprepped" image? How would that work?

Setup everything, take an image

Sysprep factory seal it, take an image

Sysprep regular and take an image

What would I use the different images for?

you know how long xp setup takes? if you only image XP ("gold"), it takes you about a minute to apply the image (disk to disk). So you would be able to almost instantly reset your machine/vm to the state after setup.

"factory" is actually meant for updating/adding drivers, preinstall software and generally modify the image before resealing it.

In this stage you could use scripts to install your software, as to be able to reproduce the final sysprepped image.

so all in all it shouldn't hurt to have those 3 images, especially since it shouldnt take more than some megabytes of space on the disk (well, more for the applications).

btw for the question in the original post;

sysprep actually has a counter somewhere in the registry IIRC, so after you run it 7 times one after another, it will bring up some error message. I guess MS has reasons for this.

So it sounds like the best process is to:

1Create the image with the settings I want, applications I want, etc.

2Sysprep it with Factory Setting

3Take an image

4Sysprep it with Reseal

5Take an image

6Use the Reseal for deployment through MDT

If I want to modify it:

1lay the sysprep factory

2modify the image (change settings, install applications, etc.)

3sysprep with factory

4take an image

5sysprep it with reseal

6take an image

7deploy the resealed image through MDT

Yes? or No?

If it adds a count to the sysprep each time, is it just the reseal or is it in any mode of sysprep?

I feel like I am very confused as to the process (please forgive me as we have not deployed an OS in over 6 years (I was not involved in the process), and even then the tools were Norton Ghost and a drive.)

My big issue with scripting applications is that our in house application is setup by hand, there is not automated installer, as well that we do not have any scripting software, or the time to take our applications from hands on to silent/automated.

So it sounds like the best process is to:

1Create the image with the settings I want, applications I want, etc.

2Sysprep it with Factory Setting

3Take an image

4Sysprep it with Reseal

5Take an image

6Use the Reseal for deployment through MDT

If I want to modify it:

1lay the sysprep factory

2modify the image (change settings, install applications, etc.)

3sysprep with factory

4take an image

5sysprep it with reseal

6take an image

7deploy the resealed image through MDT

Yes? or No?

If it adds a count to the sysprep each time, is it just the reseal or is it in any mode of sysprep?

My big issue with scripting applications is that our in house application is setup by hand, there is not automated installer, as well that we do not have any scripting software, or the time to take our applications from hands on to silent/automated.

well actually I would make one image without anything other than the setup settings you want, so just a clean windows installation. second would be a factory mode image. and third a resealed image.

for the counter you should read the docs coming with the deployment utilities archive. I cant remember right now how often you can run sysprep one after another but there is some limitation to it.

as for you application, AutoIt is freeware and has a script generator, so essentially you run the install, click through it and at the end of that you have a script that has the buttons recorded as you clicked them. however there is one catch, the AutoIt "suite" comes with 2 script generators, one is control/button based, the other records mousemoves. I will look at it tomorrow, but I think the control-based script generator was called "autoit macro recorder" or something like that.

--

http://www.autoitscript.com/

Edited by bj-kaiser

well actually I would make one image without anything other than the setup settings you want, so just a clean windows installation. second would be a factory mode image. and third a resealed image.

So with that process how would I modify an existing image? or is it a once you are done, you are done, theres no going back to make modifications except with something like Autoit?

as for you application, AutoIt is freeware and has a script generator, so essentially you run the install, click through it and at the end of that you have a script that has the buttons recorded as you clicked them. however there is one catch, the AutoIt "suite" comes with 2 script generators, one is control/button based, the other records mousemoves. I will look at it tomorrow, but I think the control-based script generator was called "autoit macro recorder" or something like that.

--

http://www.autoitscript.com/

We have varying screen resolutions, it sounds like something that records keyboard input would be better. I will give the AutoIt macro recorder a try.

So with that process how would I modify an existing image? or is it a once you are done, you are done, theres no going back to make modifications except with something like Autoit?

The idea is to use the "factory mode" for modifications and the "gold" image if you ever have to start from scratch, so you dont have to wait for the normal setup process, even if its unattended it usually takes longer than applying an image with imagex.

And after the modifications you just sysprep again with the same sysprep.inf and capture that as the new sysprepped image.

That's about what I remember, but honestly, it should all be explained in detail in the deployment tools docs.

I have heard that running sysprep multiple times on one machine, can mess up the PC. If I run sysprep on the same image multiple times, will it mess it up in the same way (I would think so)?

While I cannot speak for Vista, as far as XP goes, you can run sysprep until you tire of it, and it's not a problem. I've seen images that were sysprep'ed probably 50+ times, without any issues at all.

Sysprep has a specific set of tasks to accomplish (generates new SIDs, etc), and repeating that process shouldn't break things.

The idea is to use the "factory mode" for modifications and the "gold" image if you ever have to start from scratch, so you dont have to wait for the normal setup process, even if its unattended it usually takes longer than applying an image with imagex.

I got the idea of the gold image, that makes sense. The factory image is now clear in my mind. Sorry for any confusion.

And after the modifications you just sysprep again with the same sysprep.inf and capture that as the new sysprepped image.

That makes sense enough. One little thing is that the sysprep.inf that will be used is generated by MDT, but I got the idea, as far as same sysprep configuration.

That's about what I remember, but honestly, it should all be explained in detail in the deployment tools docs.

The deployment tool kit is a bit confusing and VERY extensive, so it is rather hard and frustrating to search through it all.

-------

While I cannot speak for Vista, as far as XP goes, you can run sysprep until you tire of it, and it's not a problem. I've seen images that were sysprep'ed probably 50+ times, without any issues at all.

Not what my experience shows. I have had sysprep die on me after the third time of sysyprepping it. we have had one image that was sysprepped once and it was fine, we resysprepped it 2 more times, and it kept at different points on the very same computer.

Sysprep has a specific set of tasks to accomplish (generates new SIDs, etc), and repeating that process shouldn't break things.

See thats what confused me, is that it does the same thing to change the identity of the computer each time, why would it differ if it was the first time or the 5 time.

I heard someone's definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again with the same variables and expecting different results. I guess that means sysprep is insane, since it seems like you can get different results from doing it over and over again.

Not what my experience shows. I have had sysprep die on me after the third time of sysyprepping it. we have had one image that was sysprepped once and it was fine, we resysprepped it 2 more times, and it kept at different points on the very same computer.

I think I found the article where I had the idea, of sysprep having a limited number of runs on one installation, from:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308554

However, I could swear something like that happened to me even with VLK media. But I didn't find any information on that, yet.

That looks familiar. It also makes sense with all the WGA junk in there.

I have another question. Should I just take an image of the factory image with imagex, and attach that to the WIM file OR should I use something like Acronis to make a sector based image of the PC?