NUSB for USB(1) too ?

Ninho

Still reinstalling+tweaking Win 98 SE on an older system. This has USB 1.x only, NOT USB 2, controllers (SiS 5595B chipset)

Thinking of installing Maximus Decim's NUSB. Therefore before I let any USB storage device touch this computer, I will ask if this is the right road to go for getting universal support of USB mass storage devices (read : pocket flash drives, different brands), or is NUSB only for systems which have USB 2 ? If the latter, what is the proper thing to do instead ?

Thank you !

--

Ninho

I have a usb 1.1 mobo running NUSB v2.4 with no issues. I saw no need to install v3.x which adds drivers for USB 2.0 controllers (plus has a slightly more comprehensive .INF file which can just be copied over).

v2.4 was the last version which had just the generic usb drivers. On my set up has detected Corsair 1Gb & 4Gb flash drives and 250Gb external HDD amongst others.

Link to other NUSB versions below

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

Thank you guys !

Just installed the NUSB 2.4 and after reboot, connected a no-name "pocket disk" which triggered the new hardware wizzard, installation of the USBSTOR drivers and the pocket disk itself. Read/write is OK. I may have a complementary question, but I'll move it to the proper forum subsection as suggested by Noguru. See you there, I hope... :=)

--

Ninho

FYG, even on another mobo which is usb 2.0 enabled, I also installed NUSB v2.4. Reason being that I have a Via based board and the installed USB 2.0 controller drivers where working fine and I did not want to change that.

Upshot is that the v2.4 NUSB driver also work fine on that board.....

Edited by risk_reversal

• 1 month later...
FYG, even on another mobo which is usb 2.0 enabled, I also installed NUSB v2.4. Reason being that I have a Via based board and the installed USB 2.0 controller drivers where working fine and I did not want to change that.

Upshot is that the v2.4 NUSB driver also work fine on that board.....

Thank you, RR & Noguru :=)

For the record, NUSB 2.4 on the older system, as well as NUSB 3.? on the newer one (having USB 2.0) were reinstalled and work perfectly. NUSB, both 2 and 3 versions, are really fabulous.

--

Ninho