Slipstreaming SP3 on Dell OEM WinXPPro SP2 Setup Disk

fraunthall

My Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop came with WinXPProSP2 installed. I installed SP3 on it and lost internet communications functions. I could use the Restore function provided by MS, but it would destroy my data and all software installed since I got the machine. Fred Langa, formerly of PC World, has published a "No-reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Guide published in Information Week on June 19, 2006, but it requires using the Dell OEM Setup Disk which is only at the SP2 level. I don't know if this will work, given the SP3 upgrade I did. Is there a way to use that OEM Setup Disk to create a slipstreamed CD with SP3 integrated into it? Some writers have said that this is not possible because of the additional software updates, etc., that Dell has included on its Setup CD. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around such a problem?

Have you tried uninstalling SP3?

I'm not sure of Fred Langa's technique so can't really comment.

As for making a slipstreamed CD using your OEM recovery disks, it is theoretically possible, but from my understanding it is a painful process which will cause headaches as issues will arise that you will have to work through. Not for the faint-hearted! If you're still keen have a good google and search here on MSFN as I know people have/are worked/ing on it, but I don't have any links handy.

Regardless you should get a portable HDD (or burn to a DVD) and backup all your important data before you do anything else (unless you've done that already as you should've before installing SP3).

Personally I'd try uninstalling SP3 first, then if that doesn't work, try Fred's method. Finally, if nothing else worked do the factory Dell recovery.