Disk usage at 100%

Majordis

Hello all....

I have just got a new motherboard (Asus P4b266) with a P4 1.6 ghz, 512 megs of DDR memory.

The only problem I am having with this new install of XP is every time I print something, the cpu usage goes up to 100% and stays there till the printing is done. Needless to say, the whole system comes to a crawl. I have tried all the settings in BIOS,, but none help. I have tried all the settings for the spooler in XP...no help. I tried the default XP driver, and the latest driver from Epson (Epson 700).

This didn't with my old MB and proscessor (Asus P3B-F & P3 500 mhz).

Does anyone have any ideas? MB problem? XP problem? HELP!!

Thanks....Majordis

The only thing that is using the cpu while printing is "system" which stays at 97 to 100 while the printing is printing. "spoolsv.exe" dosn't show any cpu usage. This is driving me nuts [/quote:f4f2226d6e]

You really dont need to worry about that.. it happens to me too.. not such a big deal man..

BLACKWAR

It is an Epson Photo 700, but I also hooked up a Brother HL-720 and had the same problem. I also swapped proscessors (swapped my P4 1.6 with a P4 1.4), it still happened. I swapped my mobo (Asus P4B266 with a Asus P4T-E) it still happened. I tried both proscessors in all combonations with both motherboards, The P4T-E had 512 megs rambus memmory, the P2B266 has 512 megs of DDR. I reformatted the HD & installed nothing but WIN XP, It still happens! I'm almost at the end of my rope. I hate the thought of this, but I think the only way to get around this is to reinstall ME or 98se.

Maybe a print server plugged into my hub?

It is an Epson Photo 700, but I also hooked up a Brother HL-720 and had the same problem. I also swapped proscessors (swapped my P4 1.6 with a P4 1.4), it still happened. I swapped my mobo (Asus P4B266 with a Asus P4T-E) it still happened. I tried both proscessors in all combonations with both motherboards, The P4T-E had 512 megs rambus memmory, the P2B266 has 512 megs of DDR. I reformatted the HD & installed nothing but WIN XP, It still happens! I'm almost at the end of my rope. I hate the thought of this, but I think the only way to get around this is to reinstall ME or 98se.

Maybe a print server plugged into my hub? [/quote:34fa66e5ab]

This is a bug in winXP, you cannot fix it with any hardware changes or anything.. May be with the drivers too, have you tried installing the drivers from the manufacturers website?

And why do you need to install windows 98/me? Install windows 2000 instead which is almost the same thing as winXP except all the bloat/themes in XP...

BLACKWAR

If its USB, use a serial adapter. If its parallel use a USB adapter. Try different combinations. Another thing is to try to update all your drivers, try running the printer soft in compatibility mode, and lastly, uninstall Office if you have it installed. See if that helps.

Big Booger