Need help with RunOnce

shinigami7th

I've been wondering abt this feature for a long time.... I've been using nLite to make slimmed-down version of XP, but I hardly used the unattended feature.... However, I heard I can use this feature to install some .exe drivers.

Few questions:

1. Is this feature the same as the following?

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/59/SESSID=3dfbca5143b78b855eb070fbb45aea8d/

2. When is RunOnce executed?

3. Is it possible to install some specialized drivers packaged in un-extractable .exe files, such as the AMD 64-bit processor drivers?

4. If possible, can someone provide a complete guide for this feature? I think all other features are well-documented except for this one...

Thanks in advance.....

Here's the rundown on RunonceEX....

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/31/

RunonceEX executes during the initial reboot after the base OS load (text-mode) completes.

You can do a lot of different things using scripts, executable files, regtweaks, and more.

Make sure you add "RunonceEX.cmd" with the quotation marks to your cmdlines.txt file.

Hope that helps get you started..... good luck!

Here's the rundown on RunonceEX....

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/31/

RunonceEX executes during the initial reboot after the base OS load (text-mode) completes.

You can do a lot of different things using scripts, executable files, regtweaks, and more.

Make sure you add "RunonceEX.cmd" with the quotation marks to your cmdlines.txt file.

Hope that helps get you started..... good luck!

Actually, that link is exactly the same as the one I asked in the first question. I have read through that one.... However, I'm asking whether the runonce feature in nLite is actually the same as this one.... I mean, the nLite's one is basically the same feature, while it is easier to use, then I'd rather use the nLite's one....

Thanks anyway.... :D

I guess which method you choose depends on how much you need to change and add into your image file and how often you need to do updates. The downside to using nlite is that once you modify things, it's hard to restore them later, plus every time you make changes, the total image size grows larger.

My image size is just under the max 700mb limit for a CD, so I only get 2-3 changes in nlite before the image size grows too big to fit on CD. Using DVD's is not a viable option for my situation.

My Runonce file is rather lengthy and it's easier for me to make updates and changes when it isn't integrated into nlite. I only have to recreate the final ISO without any changes required to the base nlite'd files. I use the $OEM$ file structure method for my image.

Edited by ki_supergeek

I guess which method you choose depends on how much you need to change and add into your image file and how often you need to do updates. The downside to using nlite is that once you modify things, it's hard to restore them later, plus every time you make changes, the total image size grows larger.

So, I'm assuming that u meant that the nLite's RunOnce n the RunOnceEx is basically the same, is it? Actually, I need this feature to make a downsized, slim, clean installation CD for my laptop. However, some of the drivers are in .exe file and cannot be extracted coz it comes with some programs to make the device works (e.g. volume control indicator, etc...). Basically, I juz wanna run these driver installers on the first logon...

Can u give me some example for the usage of RunOnce in nLite?