Random crashes during games/videos

pyram1dhead

I built my current PC, and up until two weeks ago it worked like a charm. Since then, every so often the sound will stop, and a second later the machine turns itself off for no apparent reason. On restart, there's no message or indication of what happened, and nothing in the Event Viewer. Before I reinstalled XP, it started doing this fairly frequently. Since the reinstall, it now only crashes while I'm playing graphics-intense games, and sometimes while watching streaming episodes on the ABC website. I checked the Hardware Monitor, and it doesn't seem to related to overheating in any way. All my drivers, software etc. is up to date.

* XP Home Edition SP2

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

* BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 AM2

* nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS

* Creative SB X-Fi

* Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 350GB

* G.SKILL DDR2 SDRAM 2GB

I would suggest going into the system properties, advanced, and settings under Startup and Recovery, and make sure the "Automatically Reboot" option is unchecked (just in case the machine is crashing and rebooting too fast for you to catch the bugcheck).

If after setting this you still black screen and reboot without going to a BSOD, that would indicate something lower than the Windows kernel, and point more towards hardware problems.

I tried that, and still the same bug.

I'm not so sure it's that kind of error, anyway - it doesn't reboot, it just locks up and then turns off. I'm beginning to think it is a hardware problem, as you said, though which part I'm not sure.

I'd suspect memory or the video card, but knowing that the problem seems video-specific isn't 100% definitive that the video card is at fault (although it does lend credence).

What PSU are you using in that machine?

It may be that it can't provide a consistent supply of juice when the graphics card starts sucking power - and the wattage quoted on the PSU isn't an indication of constant supply, a high quality PSU of a lower wattage can support more devices than a cheap high wattage one.

The more hard drives, DVD drives, PCI devices, graphics cards, etc. connected to the system, the higher the drawn power - combine high I/O from multiple devices and it's possible the load exceeds the PSU's capacity.

It's a Rosewill Stallion 500W. I haven't added any new hardware inside since I built it a year ago, though, nothing that would cause it to suddenly stop working like this.

edit: Come to think of it...I have been using a second monitor lately. Maybe that's the problem.

I'm planning to upgrade to 4GB RAM soon, so hopefully that will take care of it if it is RAM corruption. Any other ideas?

Edited by pyram1dhead