How to get shell to recognize desktop.ini?

flarn2006

Okay, so I created a folder and put a desktop.ini file in it. Here's what it says:

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={7f67036b-66f1-411a-ad85-759fb9c5b0db}

[ShellvRTF]
RTFPath="test.rtf"

Then I added a test.rtf file to it. Now, I double-clicked on the folder, and it was supposed to turn its icon into a padlock, and when I opened it, instead of showing its contents it should have showed me the RTF file. But it instead just displays the files. However, if I add ".{7f67036b-66f1-411a-ad85-759fb9c5b0db}" to the end of the folder's name, it works fine, except then that long string is part of the folder's name.

I have tried to get other desktop.ini files to work as well, including ones that simply change the folder's icon. However, they don't seem to work. I think I remember it once working after a reboot, but is there any way to test it without rebooting? Yes, I did try restarting the shell (Shutdown dialog, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Cancel, Ctrl+Shift+Esc, File, Run, explorer, OK) but to no avail.

I have seen folders that use this RTF thing too, and don't include that long hex string at the end of the folder's name. The [.ShellClassInfo] and the CLSID option under it serves that purpose. But I can't get mine to work! Is there any way to tell Explorer to check for a desktop.ini file in a certain folder and apply the settings?