win32s/WfWG/VMware fault

Ninho

I presume this section isn't too inappropriate for discussing Windows for workgroups (3.11) questions... at least, none seems to exist that would be more adequate ;=)

I run a fully tuned WfWG in VMware Player v1 - host sytem is Windows 2000 SP4. Everything's working great, incl. LAN, the internet (IE 5 !), mouse, sound, SVGA 1024*768*16 bit colours display, taming (i.e., halt when OS idles)... With Calmira added, the OS becomes very much usable and even pleasant.

There is /one/ thing which I couldn't make work, however, and is the "Win 32s" add-on : as soon as I would launch a win32 app, the OS inside of the VM freezed - even the three finger salute has no effect (but the mouse pointer still reflecting physical mouse moves - looks like the core system is not dead and even taking mouse interrupts. No further user interaction possible however, clicks or key presses not operative in the guest system) ; on resetting the VM using VMware player's controls, Player - or Workstation - will invariably fail, giving rise to a bug # 4410 followed by guest memory dump

Jun 27 23:15:36: vmx| ASSERT C:/ob/bora-19175/bora/devices/misc/dma.c:1539 bugNr=4410

Again, this happens /only/ with Win 32s installed in the VM, but then it happens consistently. Removing the win32s components restaurs full functionality (including correct shutdown of Windows inside the virtual machine).

It is difficult to know if this fault is related to (something in my particular installation of) win 3.11, or a plain VMware bug, or a mix...

Here are my questions to anyone has been running WfWG, within or without VMware : have you met, or heard of, something close to my problem ? Experienced bugs with the Win32 subset ? Incompatibilties with VMware ? Please report about specifics... and of course, known or proposed remedies... Might the problem go away if I were to install a later version of VMware (which I'm not in a hurry to do, fully satisfied with this oldie) ?

Also, any info about VMware's bug number 4410 is welcome - couldn't find anything in the VMware database; indeed, been unable to access the database since they "upgraded" their website :=(

Thanks all for any hints/evidence ...

--

Ninho

Replying myself... That post at the old VMware forum exposed the same problem,

<http://communities.vmware.com/message/442873;jsessionid=966D1C1775C6CE1D3290BA89846D31BA#442873>

and found a workaround (disable acceleration in VMware options... whatever that affects exactly remains to determine, but at least I can confirm it does allow Win32s applications to run) :=)

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho