Software

Hi!!! I consider installing Windows XP 64bit Edition on my computer. And I've read on the Internet that there are problems when you try to find compatible software. I want to know are there 64bit versions for the following programs. If some do not work under Windows XP x64 please recommend me some that will.

1. WinRAR/WinZIP

2. ACDSee Pro 2

3. Adobe Acrobat Reader

4. Alcohol 120%

5. AVG Antivirus 8.0

6. BS Player/The KMPlayer

7. Codeck Pack All in 1 (or some other codeck pack that works)

8. CyberLink PowerDVD Player

9. Daemon Tools

10. FlashGet

11. Internet Explorer and Mozilla FireFox

12. Nero

13. Partition Magic

14. QuickTime Player

15. rmDC++

16. Skype

17. SpyBot - Search & Destroy

18. TuneUp Utilities

19. microTorrent (also known as uTorrent)

20. Winamp

Thank you in advance.

1. WinRAR/WinZIP, ok

2. ACDSee Pro 2, not tested that version that i know, acdsee normal at least runs fine.

3. Adobe Acrobat Reader, ok

4. Alcohol 120%, ok

5. AVG Antivirus 8.0, ok

6. BS Player/The KMPlayer, edit: forgot to mention, this also works ok, both of them, tried and tested.

7. Codeck Pack All in 1 (or some other codeck pack that works), ok

8. CyberLink PowerDVD Player, ok

9. Daemon Tools, ok

10. FlashGet, ok

11. Internet Explorer and Mozilla FireFox, ok

12. Nero, ok

13. Partition Magic, ok

14. QuickTime Player, ok

15. rmDC++, not tested, i know dc++ works just fine, shouldnt be any problem.

16. Skype, and again, ok, no problem either.

17. SpyBot - Search & Destroy, works fine

18. TuneUp Utilities, yes

19. microTorrent (also known as uTorrent), of course,

20. Winamp, and again of course...

I think everyone of those programs, works 100% ok.

Xp x64 has matured a long way since it first was released. Those few things that doesnt work relies on 16bit for the most part. And in any case if one actually needs 16bit, it's more effective to go with a emulator or such now a days,

because computers are so fast, not p1-133mhz, that the 16-bit game or what not, might simply not work anyway the way it was ment to.

Edited by TranceEnergy

You could probably get answers on Google, or on the websites of the particular software you're curious about.

Very little of that has 64-bit specific versions. I use 7zip for my archive needs personally, it's free and looks nicer than WinRAR or WinZIP, and has a native 64-bit version.

I would look into the xp 32 vs 64 and vista 32 vs 64 bit thread for more information, as far as msfn goes.

For me one of the great things about 64bit windows, is that system cache is practically unlimited per date, and with a any recent motherboard with a bit of ram, everything flies on xp x64bit.

I tested 64bit vista, and while i liked it, it never could give me that instant response feeling that is with xp, and my hardware is all produced in 2008, a 5.9 system (max vista rating) so hardware isnt the issue.

If you do run into a problem with xp 64bit programs, feel free to drop me a PM and i'll do my best to answear it. I've helped quite a few people convert over the years.

It's really nothing to it today. As long as motherboard and cpu is 64bit capable, there wont be any problem in most cases. The big guys: ATI, Nvidia, Intel, practically all motherboard makers, just about any keyboard/mouse will work with 64 bit at the very least, and most if not absolutely all will provide a 64bit driver.

In regard of drivers, i'm happy about 64bit vista, tho i think it was a pity they still made 32bit only versions as well.

With so cheap memory today, it's really not much point sticking with 32bit, unless of course only demands are simply things as surfing, playing old games etc.

Even so, 64bit is more aimed at the future is then 32bit is, regardless of how one looks at it.

As a happy sidenote about vista 64bit, i've seen that 64bit vista drivers also will work with xp64bit. This in rare cases where the producers simply forgot to mention this.

One example, and actually a bit odd, is ati's 64bit serial ata native drivers. It isnt needed, but it will work perfectly on xp64 as well.