Trouble with Windows 2008 Images

mike76

Hello,

I'm having trouble creating my individual Windows 2008 images. What I want is to create a "setup" file that installs an individual Windows 2008 Standard server with e.g. installed Active Directory or IIS-Webserver. So this is what I did so far, but it not working. I think I tested all ways of imaging:

1. Installing Windows 2008 Standard on a real machine

2. after setting a passwort running c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe with supervision mode and restart

3. installing Active Directory, restart, creating one user (for my test if it's working on the next machine). while this sysprep is always active

4. setting sysprep to OOED, generalize, shutdown to reduce the system of setting

5. booting from a WinPE-CD with imagex installed

6. running imagex /compress fast /capture c: n:\install.wim (where n: is a net use share)

7. (takes place on another server in my network) installing WAIK in the latest version from MS-Download and running

8. I copy the whole Windows 2008 DVD to D:\win08\ on this other machine

9. I replace D:\win08\sources\install.wim with the currently created install.wim (which I copied to n:\)

10. I create a .ISO file and burn it with nero

oscdimg -o -u1 -bC:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Distribution\boot\etfsboot.com D:\win08\ C:\TEST.iso -m

11. Finally I start an empty virtual machine, boot it and start from the new DVD. The Windows 2008 Setup starts and I say "no product key, no" and then this error appears: "Die für die Installation verfügbaren Abbilder konnten nicht angezeigt werden" in english "The availible images for the installation could not be displayed".

So after 3 days of working with this :realmad: I ask you: what am I doing wrong???

regards,

Mike

There are multiple images in the wim files. AFAIK 6 ones in server2008 install.wim.

IMO, you need to mount the proper part of the image (eg 2 is for enterprise) and then put your new (updated) files in that. Then commit changes and unmount the image.

Try it this way, this should work :hello:

Yes, install.wim has 6 images, I used image 1 and mounted it in d:\mount_orig with mountrw. Now I could copy new files - but which files?

So I also mountrw d:\mount_my my created .wim-File. It has about 300 files more than the original one. Now I tried so select all files in mount_my and copy it to mount_orig but recieved the error that the he can't read the source files. Then I tried to deselect write protection on mount_orig and mount_me and did it again, the same result.

Do you think the whole action is correct or would you do it different?