DNS Fun :D

Hi,

We are doing a domain migration and from I have read, it is recommended that you keep seperate domain names for inside and outside. (Lets say domain.net for inside and domain.com for outside). So basically the world should only see domain.com. Registering two domain names is no problem.

I am probably just overcomplicating it. Do I just create two primary lookup zones and have domain.net point to our internal servers and domain.com point to our ISP? Our public DNS name is ISP-hosted. Do I need two DNS servers inside my network (one for public, one for private)? Do I need two PDC's also? I am running Server 2000/2003 DC's (2000 native mode).

Thanks a bunch for all the help, this site is the best.

Edited by TimHi

I believe the best way would be to have for example

Domain.com registered, with your webservers and perimeter exchange servers sat in the DMZ and have int.domain.com on the LAN where you have your AD servers sat.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

so create a child domain for the private domain... Does this mean I will need another PDC and another NS server, or will my ISP host the public domain.com on their end? In that case, do I even need a second domain controller for domain.com if all of my users and resources are on int.domain.com?

Thanks.