Opening Embeded Zip files in Word 2003

TofuBug

Quick Question to see if anyone has any ideas how to fix this

I'm trying to get embedded zip files to open from word 2003 professional SP3

when i double click the files i get an error

This object was created in Package.

This application is not available to open this object.

Make sure the application is properly installed and that

it has not been deleted, moved or renamed

now if i try and create a blank word doc go to insert->object then from file with display as icon if i choose a zip file it adds it with packager just fine but as soon as i double click the icon in my doc i get the same error.

Not sure what's going on here i'm running winzip 9 SR1 full corporate version, I've tried this with office 2003 sp2, sp3, without winzip with newer winzip always the same.

however if i drag and drop the zip file into word it works

Also if i use send to compressed folder and embed the zip file that creates it works as well

Any help will be greatly appreciated

• 2 years later...

Quick Question to see if anyone has any ideas how to fix this

I'm trying to get embedded zip files to open from word 2003 professional SP3

when i double click the files i get an error

This object was created in Package.

This application is not available to open this object.

Make sure the application is properly installed and that

it has not been deleted, moved or renamed

now if i try and create a blank word doc go to insert->object then from file with display as icon if i choose a zip file it adds it with packager just fine but as soon as i double click the icon in my doc i get the same error.

Not sure what's going on here i'm running winzip 9 SR1 full corporate version, I've tried this with office 2003 sp2, sp3, without winzip with newer winzip always the same.

however if i drag and drop the zip file into word it works

Also if i use send to compressed folder and embed the zip file that creates it works as well

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I had this problem when I got a new computer. The program that you want to use to package on object, such as a zip file into a word document is Packager.exe. This is located at C:\windows\system32\packager.exe

However the issue is that Word may not sometimes reference that program when trying to package object. As such, you might be able to embed other word documents, powerpoints, excel files, etc, but not embed zip files or images. The solution is just to launch packager (by double clicking it) and embedding a document manually.

After I did it manually one time on my new computer, then word knew to reference packager for zip files in the future, and the embedding worked.