unattended xp install

i am looking at the excellent step by step instructions for the above. as a last step, the author says to test on a virtual pc. but the problem is for the testing to be done on a virtual pc (using virtual pc or vmware), you need an OS on it to begin with. therefore negating this strategy. please let me know if i am incorrect or i am missing something. thanks

Your topic title suggests one thing and your post another. Please try to make your Topic Titles more specific, this is the Unattended Windows 2000/XP/2003 area, so short of letting us know you're not istalling 2000 or 2003 your topic title tells us nothing.

If you want a step by step guide, then read the 'Unattended Guide' linked to at the header of each page here. Other than that it's just a case of plenty of reading, trial, error and hopefully success.

If you want to know about Virtual Machines, you put your newly created CD-ROM in, (or better yet mount the ISO image, it'll save you potentially wasted media), then the Virtual Machine boots from it and installs in the same way as your normal PC.

Your topic title suggests one thing and your post another. Please try to make your Topic Titles more specific, this is the Unattended Windows 2000/XP/2003 area, so short of letting us know you're not istalling 2000 or 2003 your topic title tells us nothing.

If you want a step by step guide, then read the 'Unattended Guide' linked to at the header of each page here. Other than that it's just a case of plenty of reading, trial, error and hopefully success.

If you want to know about Virtual Machines, you put your newly created CD-ROM in, (or better yet mount the ISO image, it'll save you potentially wasted media), then the Virtual Machine boots from it and installs in the same way as your normal PC.

thank you for that correction. but i still dont understand. my post was about the unattended document you have on XP. on the last page, there is a recommendation (and a good idea) about doing it on a virtual machine. is this not a question about the very topic title that i posted? (unattended xp install). thanks for your time

[...]but the problem is for the testing to be done on a virtual pc (using virtual pc or vmware), you need an OS on it to begin with.[...]

Since it's an ISO you're wanting to test in the VM, then you don't need, or have any use for, a pre-installed OS on the VM, since you wan't to test if the ISO can be installed without problems and if it else functions as it should...

[...]but the problem is for the testing to be done on a virtual pc (using virtual pc or vmware), you need an OS on it to begin with.[...]

Since it's an ISO you're wanting to test in the VM, then you don't need, or have any use for, a pre-installed OS on the VM, since you wan't to test if the ISO can be installed without problems and if it else functions as it should...

i see. thanks very much for your help. much appreciated