Does $WinPEDrivers$ folder work in Vista SP1?

I just remembered that Server 2008 uses this folder to pick up drivers from the media it is being installed.

Does this work with Vista SP1 setup. I haven't tried.

Thanks.

Hi Elajua,

yes, it works. Except for some drivers like the INtel Chipset or Raid Drivers. IF those are present in the folder, setup stops with an error message. Other than that I have not found any problem with that feature.

Bye,

ALex

It didn't work with Intel chipset? sad, they are important, but i think i can still use my driverpath for those later in the setup. All other drivers will be picked up from WinPEFolder?

thanks.

Hi elajua,

yes. If the Intel Chipset drivers are present in the folder, upon startup one gets a message saying that Windows could not install a critical boot driver. If I remove that driver folder, it works well. I have no idea why this happens with the Intel chipset drivers but it does.

All other drivers installed fine, however I did not test all drivers of course, just the ones I need for my pc and a few others.

By,

Alex

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the Intel Chipset drivers cause the critical boot drivers error on Vista setup. What I've done is gone and added another folder that I use in offline servicing to add the drivers that aren't boot critical.