ISOs on MSDN vs slipstream, any differences ?

mooms

You should now know that Microsoft have released XP SP3 isos on MSDN; and I wanted to know if there are any differences versus a RTM XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed in it.

So i have compared the two I386 folders with windiff; here is the results:

.\acc_dis.ch_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\accessib.ch_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 4ac1ebb3 dab73eba

.\dpcdll.dl_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 5d90d36 67cfc276

.\driver.cab different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\eula.txt different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\iesupp.ch_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\iewebhlp.ch_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\mdmssys.in_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 8b38cfad b3f426d

.\oembios.bi_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 96560bf3 afec1cbd

.\oembios.ca_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 240ff71e 3da607e8

.\oembios.da_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) f51ca626 eb2b6f0

.\oembios.si_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 8e5f3015 a7f540df

.\setupp.ini different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) d69d7ff 9553a6ea

.\supp_ed.ch_ different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\asms\1000\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.cat different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\asms\1000\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\asms\1000\msft\windows\gdiplus\gdiplus.man different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) e5ce001 8d937eea

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\atl.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 3849bf8b 5028d2a3

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\mfc42.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 527c1111 540406c

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\mfc42u.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 7e5d1f1a edf0c3ff

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\msvcp60.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 992d6adf b5a22a4d

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\vcrtl.cat different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 3ab53dd8 68640d5f

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtl\vcrtl.man different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) ???????? ????????

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtlint\mfc42fra.dll only in c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 -------- ????????

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtlint\vcrtlint.cat only in c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 -------- ????????

.\asms\6000\msft\vcrtlint\vcrtlint.man only in c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 -------- ????????

.\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\controls.cat different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 42a3f176 ab88b138

.\asms\7000\msft\windows\mswincrt\msvcirt.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 3701cd7d d83ae7ac

.\asms\7000\msft\windows\mswincrt\msvcrt.dll different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 219ca07a b061ee93

.\asms\7000\msft\windows\mswincrt\mswincrt.cat different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) 1184523f 2a07a4c5

.\asms\7000\msft\windows\mswincrt\mswincrt.man different (c:\GRTMPVOL_FR\I386 is more recent) a60a8af4 3bcb7925

So what do you think?

i'm suppose the msdn one is better but why theses files are not updated/created with the slipstream of the sp3 ?

the full log is attached

text.txt

I care, but I do not know if i can answer the question to if the MSDN version is better or not.

Do you slipstream manually or with nLite?

Perhaps there may be a difference if you slipstream manually and with nLite.

Service packs are cumulative. Hence, the Windows binaries that get installed during setup that are updated from SP0 to SP2 will also be updated to the latest versions regardless of whether you go from SP0 to SP3 or from SP1 or SP2 to SP3.

However, there is a small difference in the actual setup PID engine in the XP installation routine binaries - if you slipstream SP3 into an SP0 source, you will still be required to enter a product key during Windows setup. If you slipstream SP3 into an SP1 or SP2 source, however, you will have the option to bypass the product key during Windows setup. That's the only difference, during setup - the actual installed Windows product that you would use is exactly the same once setup is finished regardless of what the original source was when SP3 was slipstreamed into the source.

I suspect that's the answer you're looking for. The SP3 version on MSDN probably includes the option to bypass the product key during install where an RTM -> SP3 manual slipstream won't have that option.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

It's not true for VL versions.

I mean they don't allow the bypass.

My point is: why files likes "oembios.bin" differs ?

why "vcrtlint.man" is not on my cd ?

MSFN where people go to know.....but no one knows here !

disappointed i am.....

edit: thanks for your answers anyway.

Edited by mooms

It's not true for VL versions.

I mean they don't allow the bypass.

MSFN where people go to know.....but no one knows here !

disappointed i am.....

Someone with a VL version wouldn't need to bypass the product key screen, as they'd have a volume key they could use without activation. The OEMBIOS files aren't in play with a retail or retail OEM copy, only a royalty OEM copy, and those files may or may not get updated by a Service Pack depending on what the OEM manufacturer provided to Microsoft to include. Be disappointed if you'd like, but your point is moot - the original question was about the differences between a retail copy of XP and an MSDN iso - VL was not a part of the question. I answered the question completely, but didn't touch on OEM or VL because that wasn't the question.

Someone with a VL version wouldn't need to bypass the product key screen, as they'd have a volume key they could use without activation.

Its obvious and it was not the point, i'm only answering to

I suspect that's the answer you're looking for. The SP3 version on MSDN probably includes the option to bypass the product key during install where an RTM -> SP3 manual slipstream won't have that option.

that is not the difference between my two images.

the original question was about the differences between a retail copy of XP and an MSDN iso - VL was not a part of the question. I answered the question completely, but didn't touch on OEM or VL because that wasn't the question.

The difference that i have pointed was on a VL disk (RTM+SP3 slipstreamed vs MSDN SP3 iso both VL versions), sorry if i was unclear.

So you didn't answered and my question remain: why they differ ?

Edited by mooms

• 2 weeks later...
Someone with a VL version wouldn't need to bypass the product key screen, as they'd have a volume key they could use without activation.

Its obvious and it was not the point, i'm only answering to

that is not the difference between my two images.

the original question was about the differences between a retail copy of XP and an MSDN iso - VL was not a part of the question. I answered the question completely, but didn't touch on OEM or VL because that wasn't the question.

The difference that i have pointed was on a VL disk (RTM+SP3 slipstreamed vs MSDN SP3 iso both VL versions), sorry if i was unclear.

So you didn't answered and my question remain: why they differ ?

Why not compare uncompressed files?

For example, driver.cab is smaller in MSDN than RTM SP3 because of MS deleted old files... the newer are in SP3.cab only. Integrating SP3 on RTM only copies SP3.cab in I386, doesn't modify driver.cab to delete redundant files...

And other files compressed differ... but some uncompressed not ;)

Edited by gus_007x