Standard Or Web

hoak

While it's probably safe to assume that the 'Standard Edition' of Server 2008 is the one most will choose and use to roll as a Workstation due to cost; the 'Web Edition' of Server 2003 was preferred by many (over the Standard Edition) due to it's slimmer profile... Is there anyone here 'in-the-know' as to whether the Web Edition of Server 2008 also delivers a lighter payload of files and superfluous features for a Workstation implementation?

:unsure:

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008...es.aspx?pf=true

The edition with the least features and yet still retaining everything you want would be the best choice for you. Maybe the Web edition is still slimmer, it sure has a lot less features. There is also another page to compare server roles here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008...pare-roles.aspx

The edition with the least features and yet still retaining everything you want would be the best choice for you.
And what version would that be, on average, for workstation use? As far as I can tell, the only differences are in what *server* applications are available. Do we need those to run the OS for desktop or media PC functionality?

I'd assume the Web edition is the best choice, to be honest. What are the actual test-results from actual users on that? What is missing for workstation use when you pick the Web version install?

Edited by meowing

What is missing for workstation use when you pick the Web version install?

Nothing, I've tried it with both Standard and Web, both installations are big tho and in a weird way Web is bigger in my ghost backups of right after conversion. By a few hunderd mb that is. They both use about the same amount of memory, it uses about 20-25% after conversion of my 3GB, vista does 25-30% with a vLited edition. The hard disk footprint is whats stopping me from using this on my laptop because space is not something I have plenty of on it. I got 16GB partition for the OS and that is all it will get. I'm left with about 7GB free space after installing Web/Standard vs. 11GB with vLited Vista. If only vLite would support Windows 2008 in a way we can remove things but after install still can add/remove features, with desktop experience and wireleen networking it is not fun.