Are all XP Pro's the same?

savas34

Hello all.

This is my first post so sorry if I sound like a total fool, and this might be a silly question, but please don't say 'Yes' or 'No', because I'm looking for a detailed answer so I can understand how it all works.

Basically I see so many different releases by these various underground groups and when I try them to replace my orginal copy (that keeps getting out dated every day.) I always seem to see a difference. My question is; Are all XP builds the same?

Can I download any old version to replace my outdated disk?

Is it safe to do so?

With SP3 released, can I download any old SP3 and will it be exactly like a retail SP3 on the store?

P.S. I'm not sure if this illegal, but I'm not skipping any paths here by downloading an updated OS and using my own key.

thanks.

Edited by savas34

Well, we generally frown on warez copies, but XP Professional comes in these basic "versions":

1. Volume License (sometimes referred to as "corporate" versions) - these versions use VLK keys and do not require activation

2. "Retail" OEM - these versions can be purchased in stores, use specific OEM keys not tied to hardware, and must be purchased with (computer) hardware, and also must come preinstalled by a system builder or an OEM (even if that's you).

3. "Royalty" OEM - these versions come only from big-box OEM vendors, preinstalled on a computer, and have specific keys tied to that vendor (and in some cases the system's BIOS)

4. Retail - this is the fully-packaged product you can get in a Windows XP box from a retail store.

If you're looking to keep your OS updated, consider looking into nLite or HFSLIP.

Thanks for the response. I did want to go into the legality just to be sure, but I didn't want to stray for my main query.

I know about the various volumes as such, but I was more wondering on if they were any different? Such as if they contain the same structure. Basically are they all the same inside with differen't ways of install.

I've tried using nLite, but I keep getting errors when I'm at the blue screen of install. Also, are these guys using nLite/HFSLIP to make their versions updated?

EDIT: Also what does "Integrated" mean? Such as "SP2 Integrated?" Does that mean they basically it's an nLite version?

All I'm trying to do is figure out which version is a legit retail copy so that I can use my own CD Key and never notice the difference apart from being "updated." So I'm trying to stay away from those warez releases.

Edited by savas34

They are the same (or should be) except that you can't use a Retail key on a VLK or OEM disk, can't use a VLK key on a Retail or OEM disk and can't use an OEM key on a VLK or Retail disk. Basically, the keys aren't interchangeable between the different types of media.

You can, however, update your own installation media pretty easily. All it'll cost you is some time and the price of a blank CD (or DVD if you integrate other applications as well).

If all you're doing is slipstreaming a service pack, you don't need nlite for that - you can just run "WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-EN.exe /integrate:<source path folder containing i386>" (assuming englsh here, replace "-EN" with your language if not english). For example, I copied my RTM CD source to C:\TEMP\xpsp3, and then ran WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-EN.exe /integrate:C:\TEMP\xpsp3. From there, make the bootable ISO as necessary with your tool of choice (there are many, I won't go into them here).

As to the structure, they're all basically the same (only tabletPC and MediaCenter editions have "extras" that aren't in XP Pro directly, but they're strictly additions and don't change the "base" XP Pro OS at all.

Thanks again for the answers.

I'm new to nLite, but I like some of the features in it, such as changing the "Profile paths." But if I was to change it from "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings" to "%SystemDrive%\Users" Will that be ok? or is XP abit fussy about that?

Well, we generally frown on warez copies, but XP Professional comes in these basic "versions":

1. Volume License (sometimes referred to as "corporate" versions) - these versions use VLK keys and do not require activation

2. "Retail" OEM - these versions can be purchased in stores, use specific OEM keys not tied to hardware, and must be purchased with (computer) hardware, and also must come preinstalled by a system builder or an OEM (even if that's you).

3. "Royalty" OEM - these versions come only from big-box OEM vendors, preinstalled on a computer, and have specific keys tied to that vendor (and in some cases the system's BIOS)

4. Retail - this is the fully-packaged product you can get in a Windows XP box from a retail store.

Perfect answers !

It seems that my XP is Royalty OEM version .

Like I said, I tried nLite, but I keep getting file missing errors during the blue part of the install. All I do is slipstream SP3.

If all you're doing is slipstreaming SP3, then I suspect it's not nLite the is the problem, but rather one of three things:

1. Your source files are corrupt or incomplete. Several reasons this can happen, but the first things to check would be that the disk you are copying the Windows installation files off of works OK by itself--if not, you know the source CD is bad.

2. Then, I would make sure that Under "Tools --> Folder Options --> view" in Windows Explorer that "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is checked and that "Hide Protected Operating System Files" is UNchecked on the computer you are using to copy the files to.

3. Lastly, I could simply be that you're using a bad CD burner. I've seen where programs like Nero or Roxio claim the burning was successful, when in fact serval files were not copied to the CD correctly because of a faulty CD burning drive.

Thanks again for the answers.

I'm new to nLite, but I like some of the features in it, such as changing the "Profile paths." But if I was to change it from "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings" to "%SystemDrive%\Users" Will that be ok? or is XP abit fussy about that?

As long as you specify this in nLite it shouldn't be a problem.

Hello, Savas34!

Another utility you may find useful is Autopatcher, from autopatcher.com. It's freeware. What it does is downloads updates from Microsoft and a few other freebies like Sun Java and Adobe Reader then integrates them into an offline installation which you can burn to a CD (or DVD if you download more than what'll fit on a CD).

It supports 2000 SP4, XP (with SP2 or SP3) and Vista SP1 and Microsoft Office 2002 (XP), 2003 and 2007. If you download *everything* it uses about half a DVD.

Even if you do a fresh install from an SP3 slipstreamed CD, Autopatcher will still save you tons of time with IE7, Media Player 11, .Net and tons more stuff you'd have to download through Microsoft Update and other places scattered around the MS site and other places.

I regularly update it and burn a new DVD-R to take with me on service calls, especially when the PC doesn't have broadband net access.