ReactOS+UbuntuMini+some ISO's multi boot cd

vbn

Hello to all,I have a question about making a multi boot cd with folowing components:Clonezilla+UbuntuMiniIso+PING 2.01+PartedMagic 2.1+SuperGrubDisc+UBCD+ReactOS 0.3.4+ReactOS liveCD.So The question is how to put all these iso's on one bootable cd?All that i read on this and other forums take care only of situations like multi linux distros or multi windows versions.If you don't want to write the whole procedure at least someone please tell me which are the boot files from these iso's?Thank you.

As you requested (in PM) here's a quick guide to adding Parted magic to your disc.

Note! I'm assuming your using isolinux for your boot disc.

Mount the Parted Magic iso image or use an archiver to extract the contents.

# mkdir -p /mnt/iso && mount -o loop -t iso9660 $HOME/pmagic-2.1.iso /mnt/iso

Copy 'pmagic' dir to the root of your disc structure (/tmp/build) and copy Parted Magic isolinux.cfg inside it.

# mkdir -p /tmp/build && cp -r /mnt/iso/pmagic /tmp/build && cp /mnt/iso/isolinux.cfg /tmp/build/pmagic

Edit the Parted Magic isolinux.cfg with your favourite text editor replacing the 'livecd' init commmand with 'multiboot' on each option.

# nano /tmp/build/pmagic/isolinux.cfg

Default Boot Option:

LABEL normal

MENU LABEL ^1. Default settings (Runs from RAM / Ejects CD)

TEXT HELP

* version: 2.0, © 2008, Patrick Verner

* http://www.partedmagic.com

* Disclaimer: Author excluded from any liability.

ENDTEXT

KERNEL /pmagic/bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=/pmagic/initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=200000 pmodules=/pmagic/pmodules squashfs=/pmagic/pmagic keymap=us livecd vga=791 quiet toram

Updated APPEND line:

APPEND noapic initrd=/pmagic/initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=200000 pmodules=/pmagic/pmodules squashfs=/pmagic/pmagic keymap=us multiboot vga=791 quiet toram

Now add an option your isolinux.cfg or relevant config file to launch the Parted Magic menu.

LABEL pmagic
MENU LABEL Parted Magic 2.1
KERNEL /pmagic/vesamenu.c32
APPEND /pmagic/isolinux.cfg

Done.

This isn't the cleanest approach or the most creative but it is the simplest and a lot easier than my original guide :) all thanks to Pat adding the 'multiboot' init command.

Good luck.

Thank you kof94 for your help,but i think i'm stucked from the begining in this multiboot thing.I don't follow any methode,my hope was that the things were more simple.I read about isolinux on it's home page and other sites but i'm lost in a jungle of incomplete informations and guides.For example i didn't undestand if i will use isolinux route,what is the directories ,subdirectories and files structure in folder containing my project.For example right now i have a folder named "Multibootcd" that contains following directories:/Clonezilla,/mini,/PING,/pmagic,/ReactOS and /ubcd.My first questions are:is it necesary to put one more folder named "isolinux" along the existing ones in the "Multiboot" directory?The isolinux folder must have subfolders or not?What files and folders to delete and what to keep from the clonezilla,mini,ping,etc directories?I hope i'm not bothering you with this river of questions but like i said I'm a noob in the multiboot domain.

Well, for the basics you need the following from the syslinux package:

isolinux.bin			   no emulation boot image
memdisk for loading floppy images into RAM
vesamenu.c32 graphical menu system
(or) menu.c32 basic menu system
chain.c32 for booting hard disks

You also need a isolinux.cfg configuration file (that you create) in one of the following locations:

/
/isolinux/
/boot/isolinux/

It's very simple really.

I wouldn't get bogged down with having everything in it own folder either. As you build your disc you'll learn about how to hack just about everything to get it to boot and during that process you'll learn to compromise on file and folder locations. So-long-as you know how it all comes together then who cares if no one else does! In fact it's probably better if they don't.

Start small, learn how to create a boot menu then move on to adding distro's and apps. It's a pain learning something new but you've just got to pick one thing at a time.

You might want to take a look at this topic and I would suggest picking apart some existing distro's that use isolinux and vesamenu.32 or menu.c32.

If you get stuck on something specific then post back but you'll learn almost everything through trial and error and reading a lot of docs.

I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful but I can't think of any other way to generalise on this subject.

Well,after a lot of hard work I managed to have all the iso's on one cd,but almost none is working with the exception of parted magic and ubuntu mini.So here is what i did:

-I made a directory called Multiboot,where I put the folowing folders and files:

Multiboot/boot
/clonezilla
/isolinux
/mini
/ping
/pmagic
/reactos
/ubcd
plogic69.img
sgd9701.img

The /boot folder contains following subfolders:

boot/clonezilla
/isolinux
/mini
/ping
/reactos

And finaly ,the Multiboot/boot/isolinux folder do have inside these files:

-chain.c32
-isolinux.bin
-isolinux.cfg
-memdisk
-splash.png
-vesamenu.c32

Now,the isolinux.cfg from Multiboot/boot/isolinux is this:

DEFAULT /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 300
TOTALTIMEOUT 450
####
MENU BACKGROUND /boot/isolinux/splash.png
MENU TITLE Super-Disc
####
#### The 1st byte of the fgnd color is brightness.
#### green1
MENU COLOR title 1;36;44 #ff008080 #00000000 std
#### green1
MENU COLOR unsel 37;44 #ff008080 #00000000 std
#### white
MENU COLOR sel 7;37;40 #c0ffffff #ff000000 std
#### orange
MENU COLOR hotkey 1;37;44 #fffe3e00 #00000000 std
#### green2
MENU COLOR hotsel 1;7;37;40 #ff00ff00 #ff000000 all
####
LABEL hdd
MENU LABEL ^1 Boot from HardDisk
localboot 0x80

LABEL ubcd
MENU LABEL ^2 UBCD 4.1.1
KERNEL /ubcd/isolinux/menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

LABEL pmagic
MENU LABEL ^3 Parted Magic 2.1

LABEL ping
MENU LABEL ^4 PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost)
KERNEL /boot/ping/kernel
APPEND initrd=/boot/ping/initrd.gz

LABEL clonezilla
MENU LABEL ^5 Clonezilla
KERNEL /boot/clonezilla/vmlinuz1
APPEND initrd=/boot/clonezilla/initrd1.img

LABEL plogic69
MENU LABEL ^6 Partition Logic
kernel memdisk
append initrd=plogic69.img

LABEL sgd9701
MENU LABEL ^7 Super Grub Disk
kernel memdisk
append initrd=sgd9701.img

LABEL mini
MENU LABEL ^8 Ubuntu Mini
KERNEL /boot/mini/linux
APPEND initrd=/boot/mini/initrd.gz

LABEL reactos
MENU LABEL ^9 ReactOS 3
KERNEL /boot/reactos/setupldr
APPEND initrd=/boot/reactos/freeldr

LABEL memtest86
MENU LABEL ^Memtest86 (RAM Diagnostic)
KERNEL /boot/isolinux/memtest86

My question is what have i did wrong,because from all these 9 entries in the isolinux.cfg menu,only 3 are working:1.Boot from HardDisk 3.Parted Magic 2.1 and 8.Ubuntu Mini.Even the Memtest86 isn't working.I'll post here the messages i receive from virtual box(the virtual machine i'm using to test may work):

2.UBCD 4.1.1 - here if i press this option ,i get a second screen with 2 options:boot and main.if i choose main nothing's happening only a refresh of the virtual screen,and if i choose boot ,a message saying "Booting..." appear at the bottom of the virtual screen and freeze there.

4.PING(Partimage is not ghost) - here ,after receiving the messages "Loading.....kernel" , "Loading.....initrd.gz" and "Uncompressing Linux" the screen star to display a lot of task lines like when a linux distro is booting ,and after some time the machine is displaying this:"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)".

5.Clonezilla - nothing is happening when pressing this option in the menu,only the virtual screen is refreshing.The cursor continue to remain on this line.

6.Partition Logic - choosing this the screen is changing and is displaying these:"Loading memdisk......Could not find ramdisk image: plogic69.img".

7.Super Grub Disk - same as above with only one difference:in-stead of "plogic69.img" the word is "sgd9701.img".

9.ReactOS 3 - the same thing like when i pressed 5.Clonezilla.The screen is refreshing keeping the cursor on this option.

And finally the Memtest86,same as ReactOS and Clonezilla.

So to conclude what do i have to do to make this multiboot cd to work?I need a little more help from you kof94.Anyother forum member wanting to give a little help offering solutions is very welcomed.Thank you.

PS.I thank jetman for his guide http://www.msfn.org/board/Super-Disc-Multi...NUX-t94398.html that was very helpfull for starting my personal project.I used his methode (and his isolinux.cfg menu) in combination with very usefull informations and guiding provided here in this thread by kof94,to whom i thank also.

Edited by vbn

I managed on my own how to make plogic,supergrub and memtest to work,by moving the corresponding .img files to the main boot folder.So ,even if i tried with google or on other forums to find an answer ,the ubcd,clonezilla,ping and reactos are still unsolved.I hope someone will help me to make at least ubcd and reactos to work.Thanks.

I found out that UBCD 4.1.1 cannot be used in conjunction with isolinux route 66 :D ,but the team behind that project is working for a new version that will be compatible with isolinux multifolder style of doing a multiboot cd or dvd.I'm telling this for those interested in a project like mine or similar.And again for them I will write here what I have done untill now.First I have to tell you that clonezilla and reactos are still unusable because i couldn't find what to write in the isolinux.cfg menu,what commands or to which files from their folders to point to in my main menu.So as a result my multiboot cd ,right now looks like this:

-1."Multibootcd" ,the project directory contains the following folders:boot,mini,ping,pmagic.

-2.The isolinux.cfg from boot/isolinux folder is:

DEFAULT /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 300
TOTALTIMEOUT 450
####
MENU BACKGROUND /boot/isolinux/splash.png
MENU TITLE Super-Disc
####
#### The 1st byte of the fgnd color is brightness.
#### green1
MENU COLOR title 1;36;44 #ff008080 #00000000 std
#### green1
MENU COLOR unsel 37;44 #ff008080 #00000000 std
#### white
MENU COLOR sel 7;37;40 #c0ffffff #ff000000 std
#### orange
MENU COLOR hotkey 1;37;44 #fffe3e00 #00000000 std
#### green2
MENU COLOR hotsel 1;7;37;40 #ff00ff00 #ff000000 all
####
LABEL hdd
MENU LABEL ^1 Boot from HardDisk
localboot 0x80

LABEL pmagic
MENU LABEL ^2 Parted Magic 2.1

LABEL ping
MENU LABEL ^3 PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost)
KERNEL /boot/ping/kernel
APPEND initrd=/boot/ping/initrd.gz

LABEL plogic69
MENU LABEL ^4 Partition Logic
kernel memdisk
append initrd=/boot/plogic69.img

LABEL sgd9701
MENU LABEL ^5 Super Grub Disk
kernel memdisk
append initrd=/boot/sgd9701.img

LABEL mini
MENU LABEL ^6 Ubuntu Mini
KERNEL /boot/mini/linux
APPEND initrd=/boot/mini/initrd.gz

LABEL memtest86
MENU LABEL ^Memtest86 (RAM Diagnostic)
kernel memdisk
append initrd=/boot/MEMTEST.IMG

If someone is interested in a more precise guiding on doing a project like mine ,just ask here and i will write a tutorial related to this.And if there are people who now how to include the ReactOS lilliputian cd into my multiboot "thing" ,than I please you to share your knowledge.Thank you.

Edited by vbn

I found out that UBCD 4.1.1 cannot be used in conjunction with isolinux route 66 biggrin.gif ,but the team behind that project is working for a new version that will be compatible with isolinux multifolder style of doing a multiboot cd or dvd

I think your looking for a modular approach that simply doesn't exist because nothing really works like that. I wish I could explain this better but I think your just going to have to go through the whole trial and error pain before you see what I mean.