RSM (remote storage mgr) library managemen error

mikesw

I get the following error in my Win 2K Pro SP4 rollup1 plus patches system event log

when I insert Sandisk flash chips.

Removable Storage Event ID 17:

RSM cannot manage library PhysicalDrive3. It encountered an unspecified error. This can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to, database corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system resources.

I've seen others get this error and ask whats causing it and how to get rid of it.

Here's what I've discovered.

This error is not related to the size of the flash chip since I've inserted 1Gig, 2Gig,

4Gig and 8Gig flash chips into the computer and get this error in the event log. I've inserted 2Gig Sony and the above kinds from Sandisk, so it isn't manufacturer specific. The difference is that most of the above flash chips from 2Gig and up for Sandisk are U3 devices and the others are just plain flash drives. Thus, MSoft Windows File Explorer sees the U3 devices as a two different drives sharing

the same hardware. One pretends to be a CD and the other a regular hard drive. I guess U3 is setup to be one drive that is partitioned into two different drives but pretend to be different hardware drive types. Thus, Win 2K RSM can't handle/manage U3 drives that don't appear to this utility as only one single formatted drive instead of two different drives.

Thus, anybody know if MSoft came out with a hotfix to correct this? I haven't found a fix yet. I'm not sure if one can somehow fake it out by updating the RSM device Database with some list or sequence of device ID types. MSoft explains on their website how to restore the RSM device DBMS, but doesn't say anything about U3 drives. They are probably to new for Win 2K.

:whistle:

Edited by mikesw