Trying to delete misplaced shortcuts crash explorer...

Rhor

Hi.

It's an old bug I have since the first days I started using nLite, but now that I'm on the final stages of my "perfect" XP CD installation project, I would like to solve it once and for all.

There's a shortcut on the desktop that leads nowhere, because the original destination was moved or deleted, and when I try to delete that shortcut, explorer crashes, simply as that.

Please, let me know about any ideas you might have, below are the last nLite session I used.

Thank you in advance.

Last_Session.ini

Rohr,

What are the properties of that shortcut? Can you see them anyway? As many details as you can get.

You wrote my last name in it's original way! hehe.

I'm talking about any shortcut, anywhere. I make a shortcut from any EXE or file, I place it anywhere, then I move the original file where I created the shortcut from, then I try to delete the shortcut, and explorer crash and restart itself. In a no-nLited installation, Windows ask you to look for the destination, and explorer doesn't crash, so I would like to know what option on nLite I should not use to solve this problem.

Try it on your own PC, create a shortcut, the move the original file and try to delete the shortcut, see what happens.

Rhor,

I tried and got the Missing Shortcut window as usual. But I do not remove anything.

My guess is that the component with "Missing Shortcut" removed, it should be explorer-related but what? :blushing:

Maybe the guru's know, otherwise you have to bisect: cut removal list in half, test, repeat with the problem half etc. Pretty efficient actually.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, that path is very efficient but takes so much time, hehe.

I will try it, in the meantime I hope some guru will help me.

Thank you for the help Mr. BikinDutchman.