vlite & sp1 options

cshaun

Ok just spent the last 90 minutes reading through the forums and everything else I can find.

Currently I have a vlited install of Vista Ultimate. Only a few things removed (defrag, and mostly drivers, languages).

What options are available to me and others in my situation that want to install SP1?

Best I can tell:

1. "Update" the current install using the original Vista dvd (from within Vista). I assume this keeps all settings and programs, and basically just adds the missing components?

- or -

2. Get a preintegrated DVD and vlite that - again "update" with this disk from within windows. (can also use a slipstreamed disk but can't remove components until new version of vlite)

This correct? Any other ideas? Or just feedback if you've actually managed to do it and had success/failure.

Seems like quite a pain. Think I may go with option 1 to avoid this in the future. Really liked my vlite installation tho. But been using it for a year now and I'm not one of those people that reinstalls all the time.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply nuhi.

Just to be clear. I'm wanting to update to SP1, without losing my existing install. Don't want to have to reinstall programs, reconfigure etc.

You're saying it's not possible to do an install with the original disk over the vlite install? And then update to SP1. ?

Just really need to get SP1 installed, it's holding me back big time. Need to get this out of the way before migrating other files/programs to this machine.

So basically what I want to know is the best way to get SP1 on my current install without starting from scratch... It would honestly take me weeks if I had to reinstall from scratch.

Weeks? It took me one hour in total today. Plus an hour before that to prepare the ISO. I think my record was a 2 month install :)

I reinstall just because there are new components removable, can't wait to try it.

No, not possible without the reinstall. It surprises me that person with your predispositions (not wanting to reinstall) even used vLite to remove some components.

Well you could try the File and Settings migration wizard and transfer the settings from one to another if you didn't remove it. But you will have to install 3rd party applications and possibly setup, I never used migration wizard so maybe you can restore after the applications are installed to rewrite their settings.

My recommendation is to use full SP1 once you install it, that way you will increase your chance of not needing to reinstall in the near future.

mmm

Well I had no idea it was going to cause such a headache. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Have no need for all the drivers, languages and few other bits of nonsense. Vista should let you remove that garbage by itself.

I did it because I know I was planning to run with it for a very very long time. May as well be neat and tidy.

My last computer which is still running had Win XP installed June 2003. So been running almost 5 years no. Runs perfectly fine.

Yeah well I'm thinking that perhaps I do need to go to a 'full' install to avoid this sort of issue.

Just had a look for what I had removed think I found it? This look right? "Last Session.ini"

; vLite preset file

[Information]
Version = 1.0 beta on 2.0.50727.42 Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Target = Windows Vista ULTIMATE 64bit 6.0.6000.16386

[Components]
Compatibility1 = 1
Compatibility2 = 1,2,3
;# Accessories #
Accessibility
Welcome Center
;# Drivers #
Modems
Printers-Apollo
Printers-Brother
Printers-Canon
Printers-Citizen
Printers-Dell
Printers-Diconix
Printers-Epson
Printers-Fuji Xerox
Printers-Fujitsu
Printers-Generic
Printers-Gestetner
Printers-HP
Printers-IBM
Printers-Infotec
Printers-Konica
Printers-Konica Minolta
Printers-Kyocera Mita
Printers-Lanier
Printers-Lexmark
Printers-Minolta
Printers-Minolta-QMS
Printers-NEC
Printers-NRG
Printers-Oce
Printers-Oki
Printers-Okidata
Printers-Olivetti
Printers-Panasonic
Printers-QMS
Printers-Ricoh
Printers-Samsung
Printers-Savin
Printers-Seikosha
Printers-Sharp
Printers-Sony
Printers-Star
Printers-Tally
Printers-Tektronix
Printers-Wipro ePeripherals
Printers-Xerox
Scanners
Sound controllers
;# Languages #
Japanese
Korean
Simplified Chinese
Traditional Chinese
;# Services #
Remote Registry
;# System #
BitLocker Drive Encryption
Disk Defragmenter
Microsoft Agent
Parental Controls
Tablet PC

[Options]
UAC (User Account Control) = Disabled

[Protection]

[Drivers]

[Unattended]
SpecRegional
AcceptEULA
SkipProductKey
SkipAutoActivation

Is there anything that can be removed without causing any issues?! I mean what I removed was pretty slim it's definitely all JUNK. Perhaps just the defrag, but using third party software so figured why not remove it... God why do they force all this nonsense on their users???

I'm just pretty sure SP1 won't install (haven't tried it yet) as I know that it updates the defragmenter... And am worried about these endless loop issues during install.

Ah yeah does take a long time. I have a lot of programs I use... And they're all set up like I like them. Just figure I need to move to SP1 ASAP - pull the bandaid fast and hard rather than leaving it for later, it's only going to get worse.

Yeah no experience with using the settings and transfer wizard or third party apps either. Frankly I wouldn't trust them. Seen one computer that it was used on from XP to Vista - what a mess.

God I'm dreading this!

Was hoping the comment made by nonno fabio here would turn out to work - would love more detail. Guess I should try message him directly.

http://www.msfn.org/board/vista-sp1-and-vlite-t114322.html