Monitor and Display Adaptor Issues

owlsnesttoo

:wacko: Please help!

I recently had to reinstall my OS and used an OEM copy of Windows 98, because I didn't have the setup program for my old 98 SE OS. It went fine and I've added the fixes to the OS and upgraded to IE6. I finally found the installation utility for my Intel 810 chipset and it's now fully recognized, according to device manager. However, my monitor is listed as being connected to a PCI standard VGA display adaptor, rather than the Intel 82810 System and Graphics Controller. I've tried several times removing all 3 devices and restarting, but each time the same result, so my 18" Viewsonic A90f is now limited to 640x480 pixels and 16 colors. What do I do now?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

You need a correct Intel graphics controller driver. Because, the chipset update package does not contain the graphics controller drivers.

The intel chipset utility packages are taking care of almost all the chipset related hardware. The exception is network cards and graphics controllers. These drivers are too big to fit in a small chipset utility. It would be a waste of time to download a huge chipset utility for a board without an integrated graphics controller.

----------------------------

Oh here it is: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...x?ProductID=798

Edited by Sfor

I'm not sure i recall things correctly, but it seems to me that I've had to change the graphics adaptor manually, get that accepted, and then you can change the monitor from the basic VGA to your real capabilities.

I think it was effected by removing the adaptor, and then opting to manually add hardware.

If you just remove the stuff and reboot, it will reinstall it, as the OS is really stupid about such things.

:thumbup Bless you all!

My monitor is back, although I still have some "jumpy" issues with the display while viewing sites with active scripts (like this page).

For others who still might be running an ancient computer, I downloaded and installed in order the following for the Intel 810 chipset from the Intel website (using the link in the prior post):

infinst_enu.zip (updated *.inf installation utility for the 810 chipset)

isecdrv_enu.zip (updated security driver for the 82802 firmware hub)

iaa23_enu.exe (application accelerator for the 810 chipset for slow storage issues - it says Pentium III required, but I have a Celeron and it installed without a warning, I hope that wasn't a mistake)

win9xe67.exe (last but definitely not least, the updated driver for the 82810 graphics controller)

The graphics controller update automatically changed my monitor settings, as the proper monitor driver had already been installed. However, in System Properties I then had 2 graphics controllers listed after the install, one operating on the updated driver (with my monitor connected to it) and one on the driver that came with the installation utility. No resources were assigned to the second device so I deleted it and am hoping it's gone after the next startup.

NOW, why does my dial-up networking take 2 minutes to connect to the internet? I had trouble with the install of the drivers for my modem, and it used to take just a few seconds for the logon.

The Intel Application Accelerator is not necesary, but it does a few nice things. It prevents windows default IDE driver from destroying data on LBA48 IDE HDD drives, by adding LBA48 support (over 137GB). It enables DMA transfers, as well.

The default DialUp connection setting tries to login to the server. In most cases the PPP protocol does it, and additional logging in is not necesary. So, it tries to login, when it is logged in, alresdy. It wastes some time, that way. I'm using a localized Windows version, so I can not say exactly, what is the name of the option. But, you should switch off something called like "login to the network".

You are correct! Last night I studied the settings for my DUN connection and vaguely remembered something about unchecking the "Login to Network" box. So, I did it, tried to connect again, and it was back to a second or two.

On the DMA and such with the Intel Application Accelator, maybe it will help, I don't know. My whole OS problem started while using my HP CD-Writer Plus. I'd written to 30 CDs before and never had a problem, but this time I think I tried it with too little memory. I have 256 MB Ram, but my HDD was down to only 200 MB free out of 6 GB.

I thought that my original DMA settings were Enabled for the HDD (master on the primary IDE), Enabled for the CD-Writer (master on the secondary IDE) and Disabled for my CD-reader (slave on the secondary IDE). That is what I read should work the best without causing errors and overruns. I don't know when the settings got changed, but after the major Windows 98SE crash, the settings were reversed for the CD-Writer (i.e. DMA disabled) and the CD-reader (i.e. DMA enabled) and Windows 98SE wouldn't let me change them. I tried to reinstall the HP software and lost Windows 98SE forever at that point. Hence my brand-new Windows 98 OS.

Were my first settings correct? My "new" Windows 98 is running really well (better than 98SE was), but now I'm very nervous about even attempting to reinstall the software for the HP CD-Writer, let alone try to use it again, but I really need it.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Sharon