Remove "Ghostly Virtual" Hard Drive from Explorer/My Compute

kumarkumar

I had installed two programs (Ext2IFS & Paragon Ext2FS) to access Ext partitions from Windows. At that time in one of the two programs I had chosen to mount an Ext partition in my USB external hard drive as Y:.

Now I have uninstalled both the programs and also removed the external USB hard drive, but the Hard Drive labeled as Y: still remains in Explorer/My Computer. Its present in the group "Other". It has a Red question mark on it. It does not show up in Disk Management. If I click on the properties then it tells File System is "RAW" and Type is "Local Disk". If I boot into "Safe Mode" then the drive doesn't show in Explorer/My Computer, it shows only in "Normal" boot.

How do I remove this "Ghostly Virtual" Hard Drive?

I tried reinstalling both the programs but both of them cannot see the hard drive, so I don't have any option to remove it from within those programs.

clipboard01fd2.jpg

clipboard02cq2.jpg

If I try to open/explore it, I get the following error

clipboard03yg9.jpg

Edited by kumarkumar

Following are the only options available on right click context menu. There is nothing like disconnect. I get the option to delete it using Unlocker, which is not able to delete it immediately but gives the option to delete is on next reboot. But unfortunately it is not able to delete it on next reboot.

I guess the drive appears due to some driver getting autoloaded on normal boot. Which is that one I have no idea. The reason I guess is because the drive doesn't appear in Safe boot.

capture03042008195415do4.jpg

Edited by kumarkumar

If you can, try adding the USB drive again.

This might restore the connectivity enough to allow you to disconnect the Y 'drive'.

I tried that already. Installed the software and plugged in the USB drive and unmounted the ghost drive. It was gone for the moment. Unfortunately on reboot it appeared again :(

That might happen if the reconnect-at-boot-automatically flag is set.

You need to disconnect it, manually reconnect ensuring the flag is unset, and then disconnect again - that might be enough.

Unfortunately there is no option "reconnect-at-boot-automatically" in the program so that I can disable it.

This is what I tried:-

Installed the application

Connected the USB drive

Unmounted the USB drive from the program (at this moment drive Y: was gone)

Disconnected the USB drive & plugged it out

Uninstalled the program

But on reboot the drive Y: appeared again :(

Edited by kumarkumar