Issues in XP Pro after using nLite

InTheFlow

I used nLite to update/slim down an XP install CD & add RAID drivers. I'm experiencing some weird things happening in Windows now and am wondering if anyone has insight into why?

Intermittently I have a problem where if I'm viewing an open window (doesn't matter which one...it could be a configuration screen, firefox, thunderbird etc.) everything outside of the window goes black. The taskbar and all icons just dissapear. Then if I move my mouse outside of the window, it all comes back.

The unlock computer message comes up saying that only I or an administrator can unlock it. However, when I type in the correct password it comes back with the same message. It happens at intermittent times. Sometimes happens when I unplug a USB device, other times when I look at the screen sideways. Seems to be random. Unlike when it comes out of the screensaver mode and prompts for the password, it doesn't have my username pre-populated in that field of the log in box. Thats when I know I'm in trouble. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing at this point. I have to reset the computer to get back in.

If I go to the Start Menu Properties, click 'customize' and check the boxes under Show on Start menu 'internet' & 'email', click 'OK', 'apply', & then 'OK' again...windows pauses a few moments while the changes are applied. However, when I then press 'Start' they are not shown as I had requested. If I then go back into properties it shows like I had never checked the items to begin with. The same thing happens if I reboot in between checking the boxes and clicking on the start menu.

I added SP2, RyanVM's hotfixes & the Dx9c addition in addition to the RAID drivers with nLite. I also did a number of the tweaks available in nLite but haven't added anything other than that.

If anyone can help with some or all of these problems, I'd be most appreciative. They currently have me stumped. :wacko:

I found the fix for my last problem. I must have accidentally turned off 'Enable Pinned Items on Start Menu'. In case someone else runs into this problem, here is the reg info to fix it:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoStartMenuPinnedList"=dword:00000000

I ran a repair install of Windows and so far this evening I haven't noticed any of the weird problems I was having before. I'm inclined to believe that the IE7 update hosed up my system pretty good and that the repair install fixed whatever was up. If the problems prove to in fact not be resolved, I'll post back asking for help.