Padawan interviews the Jedi...

Hi you PC wizards,

I'm somewhere between being a novice and being stumped, need a little help before I can roll along on my own.

I used to write a lot of batch scripts on my own for installing win98 when I used to work at a computer shop, but I went traveling around the world for quite a number of years in-between and have gotten a bit rusty in the subject.

Gosh's setup mod.exe - not loading drivers [http://www.msfn.org/board/Integrating-drivers-HFSLIP-t63302.html] didn't help. My notebook has a dual processor and the drivers I needed were marked with "noload". I found out those drivers marked with the suffix "_mp" mean multiprocessor. I found only a few descriptions about a few of the drivers in the Txtsetup.sif, but not all. Does anyone know where a list is that describes which drivers are used for which devices? Without that info, that spiffy little routine Gosh explained is like playing Russian roulette with my drivers.

Can anyone at show me a few drivers that are superfluous for a dual processor system?

Oleg's instructions on how to integrate the driver binaries for the installation haven't helped me out obviously because I didn't use Fred Vorcks setup files but I'll attempt that soon, cause I want to get rid of that nasty little Internet Explorer. I have also run into a driver without any *.inf file in it and am wondering how to integrate that one (even with FV's files). I'd appreciate someone explaining how to do that.

I tried toying around with autoIt to see if that could help me, but haven't been able to really comprehend its use and don't know where to find some simplistic well written instructions for that.

I've gotten to the point where I've managed to find a lot of the silent switches for most of my programs and have tested them on my notebook. Thanks to BJ-Kaiser I just added Opera to my successes.

There are four other big hurdles that I have yet to overcome:

BSPlayer - think I saw some info on it somewhere - that shouldn't be to much of a problem. People have already dealt with it.

A freeware program called Chemsketch - Universal Extractor, WinRAR and USSF.exe can't deal with it.

Silently installing Regdefender or Process Guard is quite like throwing a monkey wrench into my installation machinery, that's why I've put those at the end of my list.

Anyway, if there's someone out there with some hints that would help further on my way through this new universe of information, I'd appreciate anyone that could point to a Stargate and give me a few hints on how to decode the opening mechanism.

Peace!

and may a strong wind blow the Chinese out of Tibet

Dislocated Time

Edited by Dislocated Time

The best source for info about AutoIt is its help file. I found it easy to do a little trial and error until you found what you need.

about Opera: wasnt Opera an MSI installer? so the usual tricks should apply.

edit: ok, opera uses a Installshield packed MSI. Use /? on the setup package to get told more.

Edited by bj-kaiser

:yes: Got that Opera switch, thx.

It'll take me a while until I figure AutoIt out. Old dogs do learn new tricks, but just not as fast as the kiddies. In the mean time, if anyone has any more hints, may the force (of your fingers and keyboard) be with you.

The Force? just helped me figure out that the H.264 codec was already part of the K-lite codec pack, so one of my hurdles already dropped without me lifting a finger. CoreAVC just got ditched. :thumbup:

Now if the Force would just blow the Chinese out of Tibet... :D and help me with my other hurdles.

Dislocated Time

Edited by Dislocated Time

You should just toy around with AutoIt a bit. Most important for you are the window and control functions, not the ones to construct your own GUI, just the ones to control other applications/installers. (for a small selection: Send(), WinWait....(), ControlClick(). those should be a good start for playing with installers.)

And SciTE (AutoIT's default editor) makes your life a lot easier, I can only recommend you to download the full package, as that brings a lot of useful tools.

However, you should see it as last or additional option, in case you can't archieve what you want with the applications installer and commandline options or answer files. (At least thats my take on it.)