Problems upgrading semi-localized 98SE

SlugFiller

I have a semi-localized 98SE. Semi-localized means all menus, buttons, etc in default software are in English, but filenames and default ANSI codepage are localized(mainly allows for localized filenames, and localized text in notepad).

If the "semi" part does not make it sufficiently obvious, I have no qualms about replacing accessory programs, dlls, even parts of the kernel, with pure-English versions.

Here's my problem, though: While I've been able to upgrade most dlls to their latest versions using English KB installations, and a few unofficial fixes, any attempt to replace User.exe and User32.dll causes the GUI load-up to fail during boot(Safe mode or otherwise).

Worst part, it seems some shutdown supplemental or large HD patch or something requires replacing those. Suffice to say my 98SE isn't exactly at peak performance, and I certainly wouldn't mind upgrading those to see if it helps.

I did try finding localized 260067*. The MS site was, obviously, a bust, since at some point they apparently disabled downloading of the files their KB articles advertise that you need. So, knowing better, I searched ftp sites, Google, P2P networks, and pretty much anything I could think of, to no avail.

So, is there a place I can get a proper update for these? Better yet, what are my alternatives?

A few facts:

- user32.dll has country specific file paths hardcoded. It is not possible to use other language version of user32.dll file.

- the LBA 48 path (large HDD support) does not require user32.dll library replacement.

- the Microsoft Windows Update site works correctly if the newest java runtime enviroment is not installed. I do not know exactly what JRE versions are disturbing the Microsoft Windows Update, but JRE 6 patch distributed with the Open Office disables the Windows Update system, for sure.

Edited by Sfor

- user32.dll has country specific file paths hardcoded. It is not possible to use other language version of user32.dll file.

I figured as much. Same seems to apply to user.exe, or they are cross-dependent. I have been unable to replace either. If I had localized versions, I'd use those, but I simply don't.

If there's a way to patch(i.e. hex-edit) one from another language, I'd love to hear of it.

- the LBA 48 path (large HDD support) does not require user32.dll library replacement.

On a completely unrelated note, I do have problems with a large partition not working other than in compatibility mode, but it's LBA48-unrelated.

Regardless of whether this or that specific update requires user32.dll updated, the fact of the matter is that all the large update packs replace it. This is simply because the one provided with Windows is buggy and contains security risks that need to be addressed.

The fact of the matter is, my user* are 4.10.2222, when the official latest is 4.10.2231

- the Microsoft Windows Update site works correctly if the newest java runtime enviroment is not installed.

Actually, for localized versions, it's been clearly reporting "Your version of Windows is no longer supported" since about a year before 9x official became deprecated. If there was any way for me to still use windows update, I would have never found this forum. I get all my critical updates here.

I can post a screenshot of Windows Update flipping me off if you really need it, but either way attempts to get updated files from the MS site have consistently been a bust in recent years.

I've simply come to the conclusion one must search for unofficial mirrors, since the official ones are simply not sufficiently reliable.

• 2 weeks later...