basic vista vs. xp question

graysky

The "meh" starts now... :P

Last night I installed vista home premium on a second partition on my laptop, thinking that at SP1, it would be bearable perhaps. It came with xp and a free upgrade to vista home premium, and I've installed it a few times before and it's never lasted long. I just end up going back to XP. I gave it the same 10GB partition size that XP got (with an 80GB HDD, I give each of two OS's at once 10 GB usually). After installing Vista itself, I then started installing drivers. Each and every driver install brought on a UAC prompt. Annoying as hell! I would think that for the exact same request repeatedly it would just ask once - as in, all drivers are approved for the next 15 minutes and if within those 15 minutes another would-be uac action comes up it extends the timer for another 15 minutes. But no... Well, anyhow, after installing the drivers, I started trying to install SP1. i had already installed MS office 2007 on the hdd, and SP1 now refused to even download because there wasn't space on the hard drive. On XP I have all my apps installed with windows on C:\, along with updates, drivers, etc. All my documents are on F:\. It all fits just fine. However, on Vista, no such luck. Not even SP1 would install.

Well anyhow, I haven't had a great vista experience so far... that install is gone now and I'll be installing Windows Server 2003 soon to try that out. Thanks DreamSpark! :w00t:

Edited by Idontwantspam

I have been arguing the transition to vista to a friend of mine, and apart from DX10, i dont see any reason to shift from Xp->Vista. And now with the problems, bugs, and glitches surrounding the advent of SP1, i'm stayin with with Xp, i dont need DX10 yet and i run Xp64 dual boot with Fedora64.