nLite won't apply reg tweaks

Waldo_Keimola

Hi.

I'm new here but have used nLite to make a couple of custom XP Pro Corp. installations. I made one say year or so ago and everything went smoothly including RyanVM update and custom packs and all. Now, when I couple of weeks ago started to build a new XP installation for some reason various tweaks that nLite offers aren't applied to installation. I have set f.ex. custom context menu items to My Computer icon and some other registry settings, but when I do an installation I see no outcome. Have any idea what could be causing this?

I have drastically stripped down the installation so that it's under 300mb of size. Is there anything I could have removed that would affect the situation. I have tried without custom update packs, just integrating Windows updates and then running the installation through nLite and even redone the nLite with just the tweaks applied, with no success. Is this a bug in nLite or am I doing something wrong? Should I do everything like this in a separate program and then integrate the reg entries into installation with nLite? And how would this be done?

Also services that I have modified show no difference in behavior. F.ex. I have disabled themes altogether from installation, but still windows starts themes service automatically.

Help anyone? I'm lost.

/Waldo

Could be that something failed before nlite.inf was executed and so of course registry changes were not applied. You can look in Windows\setuperr.log for the failures during setup and please attach your preset (last session.ini from that CD).

i think i may have the same problem here. in my case nlite fails to create the user accounts.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcls.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

this was done with no addon or component removal just an unattended install that nlite faild to create the users

Your install failed so nLite.inf was never executed. So ignore all the issues you got, they will all be solved once you figure out why you have those errors in the log.

First remake your ISO from the clean XP installation files using nLite 1.4.5 beta.

If the outcome is the same (test in virtual PC) then attach your preset (last session.ini from the CD).

Hi!

Yes that's what I was going through. Sorry for delayed reply, have been testing.It is in fact one of the RVM custom addon packs that make the installation fail. At least Notepad++ 4.5 addon pack does this.

Will post report about actual RVM updatepack later, but afair it does not work.

/Waldo

• 1 month later...

i am still having the same issue here. nlite fails to create the user account in an unattended setup and produces the same error same as above no matter what i do.

i have used 3 diffrent original source cd from dell, Hp and sony none will work in an unattended setup with user account however the same session.ini worked just fine with 1.3.5 and the same session.ini works every time on a XP corp source even with latest version of nlite

in my testing i left everything out meaning no addon, drivers, tweaks, hotfixes and no component was removed. i only tried to make an unattended cd.

if you could please take look at the attached session.ini file and let me know what i am doing wrong here.

thanks

LAST_SESSION_.INI