0x0000001A Blue Screen in Media Center! Help!

AbyssHunted

Hi. I have a problem that's been bugging me. I've been getting BSODs on a recent HP Laptop running Vista Home Premium (specs: 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM, GeForce Go 128?MB, Athalon 64x2 2.0 GHz). Thing is, I've checked for both RAM issues and driver problems (old versions, incompatible with Vista versions, etc...) and so far everything seems to be OK.

Thing is, whenever I watch TV using my TV Tuner card in Media Center, sometimes, when I'm not doing anything but watching live TV (no changing channels or rewinding or fast-forwarding), I will get a 0x0000001A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Blue Screen error. (The sound of whatever was just on will just stop at the point of the error and make an elongated sound of that tune until I power down).

And, by the way, I'm not getting this error outside of Media Center's live tv feature.

I suspect that this error MAY be HP's fault, since I haven't checked if they used incompatible hardware (the hardware itself, not the drivers) or overclocked anything...

So... anybody else having this problem?

Any suggestions to fix it?

Bug Check 0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bug check has a value of 0x0000001A. This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

What are the parameters, and do you have a complete dump (zipped up) that we can look at? This error indicates a driver failure (very critical failure, btw), and since it only happens with Media Center playing live TV it's likely the video or capture card. Just because the drivers are compatible with Vista or newer doesn't mean they're any good ;)...

Well, before I go right now to get the memory dumps off the laptop (there are multiple; hopefully Windows has kept them), I just want to add one thing:

This only seems to happen on rare occasion (only 4 times since I got the laptop 9 months ago).

Most of the time when I'm watching live TV it works flawlessly.

Would it still be the TV card's input/capture driver, or is there a chance it's some other driver related to Media Center?

Well, before I go right now to get the memory dumps off the laptop (there are multiple; hopefully Windows has kept them), I just want to add one thing:

This only seems to happen on rare occasion (only 4 times since I got the laptop 9 months ago).

Most of the time when I'm watching live TV it works flawlessly.

Would it still be the TV card's input/capture driver, or is there a chance it's some other driver related to Media Center?

It's almost always a video driver when this happens, honestly, so I'd say it's very likely the card driver. Dumps will help, but this seems likely.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it happened again, but this time it's wierd... it's not MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Despite the same circumstances, I've now gotten a different error: a 0x000000A0 INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. (Don't remember the parameters).

This is beyond bizarre...

Edited by AbyssHunted

Well, actually, that isn't quite what it looks like. Usually you only get that bugcheck when a device driver has gone over it's maximum number of outstanding refcounts - however, if that first parameter was 0x00000001, this could be a bad hibernate file issue, a fatal mishandled IRP sent to a device for power status or change, or a thermal power IRP contained the fatal flag (meaning shut down now, the heat's too high inside :)). I'd still say it's possible you've got a bad driver for that video card, or the hardware itself is bad.