Windows 98SE Activation

pepper1

:hello: Is there anybody that can help this senior citizen get his Windows 98SE Activated. My HDD went out. When I purchase PC quite some time ago. Windows 98SE was the OS of its day. I've found it quite functional and would like to have it reactivated.

I currently have it installed from the original CD by, have no idea of where the activation code is. Its around here some place :blushing: but where?

What do I have to do to get it activated? Your help would very much be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Pepper1

Welcome to MSFN - Especially the Windows 9x Forum!

Do you mean the Product Key when you say activation code?

The Product Key should be on a small Welcome to Windows 98 book...

When you say you currently have it installed from the CD, this sounds like you already have the Product Key?

If it is installed already, then there is no further 'activation' required with Windows 98.

Perhaps you are referring to an Internet dial-up password?

Can you answer the following questions:

1. Can you start up your PC into Windows 98, have you successfully installed Windows 98?

2. Are you stuck at a login box when you start Windows or does the Desktop appear?

3. Did/do you have a connection to the Internet, is it connecting?

Welcome to MSFN - Especially the Windows 9x Forum!

Do you mean the Product Key when you say activation code?

The Product Key should be on a small Welcome to Windows 98 book...

When you say you currently have it installed from the CD, this sounds like you already have the Product Key?

If it is installed already, then there is no further 'activation' required with Windows 98.

Perhaps you are referring to an Internet dial-up password?

Can you answer the following questions:

1. Can you start up your PC into Windows 98, have you successfully installed Windows 98?

2. Are you stuck at a login box when you start Windows or does the Desktop appear?

3. Did/do you have a connection to the Internet, is it connecting?

Thank you RetroOS for your reply. I was able to come up with a product key required when installing. I'm sure you are aware during the process of installation you will be taken to a window requiring the COA product key. Without this key it will not boot even though it is installed. Something like that.

I found out that Microsoft will accept a generic key, so to speak, so us old troopers using 98 that have lost that small Getting Started Microsoft Windows 98 that comes with your original COA.

That is rather nice of them to do that. Appreciate your note! Windows 98SE is up & running now. Just have to tweak it up a bit. Thank you very much!

Pepper1

I don't get it. COA = Certificate of Authority, which is a document with your product key on it. So the product key inputted during installation should have been enough.

Dear BenoitRen - Its quite possible that I may have gotten the process mixed up. Notice I said something like that as a hint. This I do know it would not install without entering the generic COA or the one I lost with the booklet. Thank you very much!

pepper

What Pepper is refering to is a certificate that offers numbers in order for Windows to function. In the event you try to bypass the segment, the computer will shutdown. It's totaly different from the product key.

I actually got one when I purchased my Compaq 10 years ago. It's not on the booklet but on a post card type of document.

Pepper may be using an OEM Version of Windows 98SE. The only time I was prompt for the Certificate Of Authenticity is when I tried to install Windows directly from the CD without all the Compaq bloatware. :sneaky: