How do you record user logins

bbbngowc

Hello,

I'm not sure where this belongs so I'll post here. Mods feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

Every morning when we come to work, we have to sign a log sheet write down our name and the time we logged in. The problem is people never remember to write the name in the log book and sometimes the books go missing. In 2008, there MUST be an easier more techy way of recording what times users login into there computers and such. Any ideas of what some of you may be doing at your work place?

(Belongs in the forum for whatever OS you're on)

Are the computers using Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 or Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate? If so, then you can use group policies to enable logon auditing. Start > run > gpedit.msc, navigate to macihne config > local settings > audit policy. There you can tell it what events to log. To see the logs, open eventvwr.exe, and open the security log.

(Belongs in the forum for whatever OS you're on)

Are the computers using Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 or Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate? If so, then you can use group policies to enable logon auditing. Start > run > gpedit.msc, navigate to macihne config > local settings > audit policy. There you can tell it what events to log. To see the logs, open eventvwr.exe, and open the security log.

Yeah could do this, but how would I retrieve the information without looking the server logs?

where I work we dont have a punch system either, more a trust system

but in case HR asks we have a program called UserLock which not only controls how many times a user can log into various computers in the network but also has reporting features like log off/on lock/unlock times.

it's by a company called IS Decisions, www.isdecisions.com. It will cost you but dont know how much.

• 2 weeks later...