storprop.dll not being copied to system32 from driver.cab?

I'm having the strangest problem with a particular computer running my standard unattended XP SP2 setup (a setup that has been used trillions of times on every kind of PC without any problems), it's your basic latest RVM + latest driverpacks + latest essential addons (IE7, adobe, etc).

Anyways the problem is that for whatever reason, storprop.dll is not copied from the driver.cab to system32 on this particular PC and thus I get those silly device installer errors for all my storage devices (CDROM, harddisk) and asks to install a driver that it will never find. I say "silly" because the hardware works fine and is accessible from XP. Manually copying storprop.dll from driver.cab in the driver cache folder solves the problem instantly (after telling the device manager to scan for new hardware).

Troubled PC specs:

E8400

DX38BT

2GB DDR3

1TB RAID1 (2 samsung 1TB's)

Radeon 3870

LiteOn 20X DVD+/-R

I have verified this very same unattended XP install image on several other PCs, all very similar to the troubled one (q35 and Q965 based intel boards with integrated graphics and AHCI or RAID mode) and installs without issue - AND - storprop.dll is where it should be in system32.

Could this stem from hardware? I figure it has to be since the install source is verified to work on everything else. Perhaps this X38 chipset has some BIOS settings I'm overlooking, or this LiteOn is being a pain and for whatever reason blocking the storprop.dll from copying.

Edited by fragbert