Boot Stop Error

tb582

yes I saw that before, but the values are different.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx

The values mean:

0xC0000005 - access denied (something running in kernel tried to do something that was disallowed, usually attempt to read or write from an address range that is invalid or protected).

0x00000399 - The address where the exception occurred, this is at byte 921 in process space. This is definitely near the beginning of process space, so it's either a module trying to load in an invalid location, or a loaded module trying to modify kernel table structures (protected). This is either a REALLY bad driver, or it's malicious.

0xF898962c - The address of the exception record, not useful without a dump to view the exception record. However, knowing this is a 0xc0000005, it's likely just going to give a memory read or write failure.

0xF8989328 - The address of the context record, also not useful without a dump to view the context record. This might give up the driver, or assembly code, that caused the failure. But again, not really useful.

If you're having trouble even in safe mode, I'd have to suspect either malicious activity, or a base-level driver causing the violation. Anything on the box change recently that you're aware of that would perhaps explain this starting?

yes I saw that before, but the values are different.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx

The values mean:

0xC0000005 - access denied (something running in kernel tried to do something that was disallowed, usually attempt to read or write from an address range that is invalid or protected).

0x00000399 - The address where the exception occurred, this is at byte 921 in process space. This is definitely near the beginning of process space, so it's either a module trying to load in an invalid location, or a loaded module trying to modify kernel table structures (protected). This is either a REALLY bad driver, or it's malicious.

0xF898962c - The address of the exception record, not useful without a dump to view the exception record. However, knowing this is a 0xc0000005, it's likely just going to give a memory read or write failure.

0xF8989328 - The address of the context record, also not useful without a dump to view the context record. This might give up the driver, or assembly code, that caused the failure. But again, not really useful.

If you're having trouble even in safe mode, I'd have to suspect either malicious activity, or a base-level driver causing the violation. Anything on the box change recently that you're aware of that would perhaps explain this starting?

It wont even boot to safe mode, I get the same stop error. UGH yeah the power went out the other day, then this started. I ran spin rite on all of the drives and it didn't find anything so that partially rules out HDD failure....

It wont even boot to safe mode, I get the same stop error. UGH yeah the power went out the other day, then this started. I ran spin rite on all of the drives and it didn't find anything so that partially rules out HDD failure....

HDD hardware failure, yes, but filesystem failure, no. Although if you can boot, the filesystem isn't totally gone, and if you can boot to a rescue CD or the recovery console you may be able to get yourself back with as much as a chkdsk...