Windows XP setup

Rockeh

Heya,

I've been having some problems recently trying to install Windows XP Home Edition on another PC of mine. Usually, if I learned it the correct way, you would enter the bios setup menu, edit the boot configuration (ex. boot from CD rom 1st, all other disabled), saving then restarting your pc and you'd expect the cd rom to boot the disc. However this is not going the way it should be. I currently have Windows 98 on this PC and after configuring the bios setup, it doesnt even look like the cd rom tries to boot, it just goes directly to the Windows 98 OS. Am I doing something wrong?

Also a note, on the exact same pc with the exact same cd rom & bios settings, it will successfully boot the Windows 98 CD, allowing me to install Windows 98. However the XP CD will not boot at all.

In the past, and I could do this right now, I would usually setup Windows 98 (after formatting of course) then install Windows XP, where it replaces the 98 operating system. But I noticed some 98 files were left behind on the hard drive after XP was installed and that is not what. I'm trying to do it the clean and right way! :P

I know there's the good ol floppy disks, but I have none at the moment and I'd like to get XP setup on this pc as soon as possible. Is there any alternatives or fixes that will allow me to install XP?

Thanks!

well you dont want to disable booting from the HD, just make cd rom 1st boot, hd 2nd boot. Then it should get to the boot and say press any key to boot from CD, so just tap a key. You need the hd enabled because after you get a little ways into the install it will boot from the HD. Other than that I dont see why you would have any probs

well you dont want to disable booting from the HD, just make cd rom 1st boot, hd 2nd boot. Then it should get to the boot and say press any key to boot from CD, so just tap a key. You need the hd enabled because after you get a little ways into the install it will boot from the HD. Other than that I dont see why you would have any probs

I've tried that already, nothing. Also, I don't get a message "Press any key to boot from CD" or anything, its always done that by itself. Thanks though!

Problem solved.

I figured out that when I extracted the XP setup files from a legit cd I have to my hard drive then burnt them to a CD-RW (wanted to add some programs), I left out the boot files. I burnt a new XP CD with the boot files and success! :D