Troubles with IE6 after uninstalling IE7

kekk0

Hi,

I had to uninstall IE7 from my office pc because internally developed tools don't support it, so it wasn't "compliant". Now I have some troubles with IE6: when I open a IE window it correctly loads the default page, then when I enter an url and press enter it opens another session that freezes itself immediately, then another and another, all frozen. At this point I have to terminate them with task manager. I've read around that this is somehow a known problem when you uninstall IE7, and I tried to register some dlls again, disable all add-ons but I didn't solve my problem. then I tried to reinstall IE6 with ie6.inf, with IEfix, with ieradicator and then installed again...no way.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. please, don't tell me to run antivirus or antispywares, I can assure it's not a malware problem.

bye!

Edited by kekk0

If I understand your problem correctly, I've encountered this behaviour before on a Windows XP system with IE7 that was repaired. Clicking the home button or typing an address in the address bar launched multiple IE windows, which became unresponsive.

Try deleting the following key as documented here (ignoring the reference to IE7 Beta 1):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}

That should return the browser back to normal (this key is created during the installation of IE7).

Hi, I have another problem. When I open any site which contains activex, I get the message "Your security settings do not allow websites to use activeX..." even if I give activeX all permissions in the Security settings. That's quite strange, does anyone know what it means?

Thanks in advance!

I managed to resolve this by myself. I'm posting here what I did for future reference.

Actually it's quite simple; it seems you have to re-register many dlls after a downgrade from IE7 to IE6.

I registered the dlls listed in this page and now everything works again.

Moreover, I suggest to uninstall and then reinstall the flash player, and also the JRE if you need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've had the same issue, without any success. While troubleshooting a failed internet connection (Windows XP Home, SP 2) I installed Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 (probably a beta version) that wasn't downloaded from the windows website. I've since uninstalled it, so I am now running IE 6, but IE 7 (Beta) left something behind. Now, when I connect to the internet I get to my home page, but when I select a link I get a blank web page and the error message "Windows cannot find ‘(null)’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.”.

Through research on the internet I've found that the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}needs to be deleted to fix my problem. I've tried with no success. I've tried adding "Everyone" to the registry users, changing the permissions so all users can access the registry and tried to delete the key, downloaded Registry Fix software, I've tried deleting it using regedit and regedt32 in Safe Mode and I've run the program IE7betakey.reg with no success. I've run the paid for version of Free Registry Fix 3.9 software and I would purchase another software version If I though It would fix the problem.

I can temporarily delete the key, but it ALWAYS comes back.

Any suggestions?

SteveG297

Hi All,

I've had the same issue, without any success. While troubleshooting a failed internet connection (Windows XP Home, SP 2) I installed Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 (probably a beta version) that wasn't downloaded from the windows website. I've since uninstalled it, so I am now running IE 6, but IE 7 (Beta) left something behind. Now, when I connect to the internet I get to my home page, but when I select a link I get a blank web page and the error message "Windows cannot find ‘(null)’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.”.

Through research on the internet I've found that the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}needs to be deleted to fix my problem. I've tried with no success. I've tried adding "Everyone" to the registry users, changing the permissions so all users can access the registry and tried to delete the key, downloaded Registry Fix software, I've tried deleting it using regedit and regedt32 in Safe Mode and I've run the program IE7betakey.reg with no success. I've run the paid for version of Free Registry Fix 3.9 software and I would purchase another software version If I though It would fix the problem.

I can temporarily delete the key, but it ALWAYS comes back.

Any suggestions?

SteveG297

First make sure you deleted the right reg key (run the attached reg file).

you can try to run the batch attached which re-registers ie dlls and if it doesn't work try this script to reinstall ie6 (you'll need xp cd) and then restart.

fix__add_bat_extension_.txt

fix__add_reg_extension_.txt

Hi kekk0,

You said:

you can try to run the batch attached which re-registers ie dlls and if it doesn't work try this script to reinstall ie6 (you'll need xp cd) and then restart.

I ran the reg bat file and received these errors:

' Windows" is not recognized as and internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

and

The system cannot find the path specified.

Reffering to the KEY in the batch file.

I also ran the other batch file and re-registered the IE6 dlls.

Still no luck.

SteveG

Hi kekk0,

You said:

I ran the reg bat file and received these errors:

' Windows" is not recognized as and internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

and

The system cannot find the path specified.

Reffering to the KEY in the batch file.

I also ran the other batch file and re-registered the IE6 dlls.

Still no luck.

SteveG

It seems you renamed the reg file as bat and the bat file as reg. Rename them correctly and run them again.

Have you tried adjusting the permissions on the key itself? that may solve your problem.

• Navigate to the key mentioned previously. Right mouse click the key and choose Permissions
  • Click Advanced and disable the 'inherit permissions' tickbox, choosing the remove option when prompted followed by Apply
  • Tick the option to 'replace permission entries', followed by Apply again
  • Click OK
  • Try Internet Explorer again

Have you tried adjusting the permissions on the key itself? that may solve your problem.

• Navigate to the key mentioned previously. Right mouse click the key and choose Permissions
  • Click Advanced and disable the 'inherit permissions' tickbox, choosing the remove option when prompted followed by Apply
  • Tick the option to 'replace permission entries', followed by Apply again
  • Click OK
  • Try Internet Explorer again

Thanks Cee-Kay!!! That did the trick!!! Apparently, I wasn't changing the permissions correctly. Once I replaced the permissions for the registry key the problem disappeared!! :thumbup

Thanks,

SteveG