Can't enable DMA mode on DVD drives[SOLVED]

Fredledingue

The DMA Check Box does not remain checked (click here for description) despite several attempt and various fixes.

I tried MDGx fix for that problem but it didn't work.

I tried replacing the esdi_506.pdr file (tried the orginal version, the 4.10.2222 version and the r.Loewe version). It didn't help.

I'm quite sure I already had DMA enabled on my DVD drives because I have burnt 4 Gb + in 4 minutes or so in the past. (In IOP mode it takes more than half an hour.) I don't know what event cause this problem.

Some website are talking about registry entries, but these entries don't exist on my w98se installation.

Both DVD drives are secondary master and secondary slave.

The HDD have DMA enabled normaly.

Please Help!!

Edited by Fredledingue

Hi Fredledingue,

What is the chipset of your Mobo?

If you're not sure, check in Device Manager, System devices, and check for the likes of Intel, VIA, SiS, and so on.

If you know the actual chipset model or name would be even better.

You may need to install or reinstall chipset drivers.

Also check in Device Manager for any yellow exclamations (!) on any devices.

The reason why MDGx fix didn't work was that the "System" applet (from control panel) became very unstable when I removed the drives from it. I had to Ctr+Alt+Del my computer to restart. As a result I didn't remove properly, or at all, the IDE controler.

I retried, with the same system freeze but this time making sure all the drives (save the floppy) and the IDE driver were removed. While the system failed to shut down, then failed to restart for a reason I can't explain, I rebooted in safe mode, then again in normal mode and then the drive and the IDE drivers were reinstalled as advertised on MDGx's website and DMA was by default enabled again. :):thumbup

Hi RetroOs,

I actualy solved the problem. Thanks for your reply anyway. ;)

edit: Just burnt 4.125 Gb on DVD in 6 minutes (16x). :hello:

Edited by Fredledingue