vLite Addons vs WPI?

Fr33m4n

I am still an XP and nLite user, but after ordering a laptop that will arrive with vista pre-installed I am thinking about doing the plunge and starting to use vlite. The first thing that strikes me as odd is that there is no support for addons in vlite. This being one of the most important features to me in nlite I tried to research the subject. After doing some searches I found several posts on the subject here but no answers. The closes I came was a post by nuhi where he asked the OP what the shortcomings of WPI was and why it could not replace addons for him. There was no answer and the thread died there. So after this I started researching WPI and found that it probably could replace the majority of the addons I integrate with nlite, but not the most important ones. For instance there is Kel's Uber addon, which I have come to depend on. And the simplicity of multi app addons for nirsoft or sysinternals. At this point I am confused. I can see the way forward but not all the steps to get there.

Yes the addons would be nice to have one day. But to consider that integration of apps is crucial to OS configuration is somewhat an overstatement. You can make your own script in some folder which you can simply double click after install and do whatever you like.

@anonymous_user: Yes. Thank you. That really helped me out. But there was also another part to this perticular post which is why I didn't consider it double posting.

@nuhi: You are of course right that app integration is not the most crucial part of your app(which btw is one of the best things to ever happen to the windows platform). It's just that it is very convenient to have everything in one package and that the features of the addon integration that I appreciated the most was not the features I found the easiest to replicate by other means. If you check out the link that anonymous_user posted you will see that the only current way to fill that particular hole is by dissecting the xp addons and adding them manually. I haven't played enough with this solution to say whether it is easy/problem-free or not so until I do my homework properly and find out how this all works I'll none the less miss the feature. Are there by chance any plans on adding it or should we look other places for a permanent solution? thx for your time

Edited by Fr33m4n

I know all the things needed to make addon support but I would still rather spend time on removing more.

Gonna see, depends on a few things, anyway app integration and addons are high on the todo list, one of the next versions, maybe even the next one.