LAN Network Administration

SyntaXe

Hey folks!

In the summertime I am going to administrate an LAN-party network.

Which I never done before, so I need some help so nothing goes completely wrong.

Its going to be like 200 people.

How the network is setup is seen on this painting:

[check attachment]

So what I need help with is to know is...

Hardware on the server, how powerfull ect. Pre-made servers (IBM, Dell ect.)

OS it should run on.

Software needed (DHCP, and other smart tools).

I need to able to filter/ban MAC adresses, QoS, and other basic router tools.

I dont mind if you give me some more usefully tools if any :)

Thanks for those ho is giving answer :D

post-173082-1203210782_thumb.jpg

get a prosumer class router as cluberti suggested (sonicwall, watchguard, even the gaming router by D-Link might suffice). That'll handle your main networking tasks, like DHCP, QoS, etc...

when you say you want to filter/ban MAC's, does that mean when someone tries to connect a PC to this network you want to have the DHCP server check to see if that MAC should be allowed an IP? What's the purpose of this? Wouldn't the banning built into whatever game you're going to play suffice? Banning at that level also wouldn't stop anyone from just assigning themselves a static IP in the local space and operating normally.

as far as server goes for the game, I'd look at a quad-core (depending on the number of games you want to run simultaneously) server by Dell, HP, etc... load up with as much RAM as you can. If you can run all your software on a x64 based system, get at least 4GB if not more. Windows Server 2003 Standard would be fine for an OS. You'd really only use it to host the game software, and maybe file sharing with latest game-specific releases should you desire.

You could also see if this would be helpful

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lansuite

Edited by rendrag

When I look at some other LAN-parties, I see they always have some big servers. This doesn't have to be some machines the net goes trough(?)

So, what does he uses them to?

I'd say that'd be the local server, hosting the server-portion of the game to be played. Most (if not all) support use in a simple LAN, without internet access (assuming everyone at the LAN party is using the same game - they can all use the same server, yours).