7 of 8 of the latest updates fails with error code 80071A91

cdysthe

Hi,

I have this problem in the past also where updates suddenly won't install. Last time it happened I had to reinstall Vista after having been through endless rounds with Microsoft Support. This morning it happened again. 7 of the 8 new updates fails with error code 80071A91. I have tried to do one by one, and also to install them by downloading them manually, but no go.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestion for how to fix it, or do I have to go umphtyfive new rounds with MS support? :)

//C

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have this problem in the past also where updates suddenly won't install. Last time it happened I had to reinstall Vista after having been through endless rounds with Microsoft Support. This morning it happened again. 7 of the 8 new updates fails with error code 80071A91. I have tried to do one by one, and also to install them by downloading them manually, but no go.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestion for how to fix it, or do I have to go umphtyfive new rounds with MS support? :)

//C

I too am having the same issue. The only change made to the system was that I DE-Installed the Beta SP1 service pack, in Prep to Install the official version. After that I hav 12 outstanding updated to install and they all fail.

I too am having the same issue. The only change made to the system was that I DE-Installed the Beta SP1 service pack, in Prep to Install the official version. After that I hav 12 outstanding updated to install and they all fail.

I spent hours on this, also with MS support, but no joy. Finally I found the procedure described below which fixed the problem. Since I am not a developer please do not shoot me if it doesn't work for you or even if it caused more problems. I would be interesting to see if it works for you also

Here goes:

First:

1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt

2. Execute the following commands sequentially:

a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr

c. attrib -r -s -h *

d. del *

Second:

Start an elevated (Administrator) cmd.exe

Type: Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine

Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*

Type: Del *.TM*

NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install

• 6 months later...

I spent hours on this, also with MS support, but no joy. Finally I found the procedure described below which fixed the problem. Since I am not a developer please do not shoot me if it doesn't work for you or even if it caused more problems. I would be interesting to see if it works for you also

Here goes:

First:

c. attrib -r -s -h *

d. del *

Second:

Start an elevated (Administrator) cmd.exe

Type: Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine

Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*

Type: Del *.TM*

NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install

Had same problem with 19 updates. Followed above instructions and it worked great. Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

First:

c. attrib -r -s -h *

d. del *

I have followed the instructions but when I get to the end (del *) I get a "Y/N?" option. I assume I should select "Y", which I do, then it comes up with an error message about being unable to access the program as it's already in use. I closed everything else down first. Any ideas? Thanks.

• 1 month later...