autounattended.xml

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me that how can I edit my autounattended.xml so that it will ask me to enter the computername? I have read WAIK reference guide and according that if I leave it empty then it should ask me to enter the PC name which I have tried and so far setup did not ask me to enter any name at all. Below I have pasted reference guide stuff.

ComputerName

ComputerName specifies the computer name used to access the computer from the network.

<h1 class="heading">Values</h1> Computer_name

Specifies the computer name used to access the computer from the network. If ComputerName is empty or missing, the user must enter a computer name in Windows Welcome.

If you set this value to an asterisk (*), a random computer name is generated. This random name has at most 8 characters from the RegisteredOwnerRegisteredOrganization strings plus random characters. and/or

Computer_name is a string with a maximum length of 15 characters.

This string type supports empty elements.

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me that how can I edit my autounattended.xml so that it will ask me to enter the computername? I have read WAIK reference guide and according that if I leave it empty then it should ask me to enter the PC name which I have tried and so far setup did not ask me to enter any name at all. Below I have pasted reference guide stuff.

ComputerName

ComputerName specifies the computer name used to access the computer from the network.

Specifies the computer name used to access the computer from the network. If ComputerName is empty or missing, the user must enter a computer name in Windows Welcome.

If you set this value to an asterisk (*), a random computer name is generated. This random name has at most 8 characters from the RegisteredOwnerRegisteredOrganization strings plus random characters. and/or

it will prompt you for a computer name, but not during installtion, it will wait for the windows welcome section, then you can enter a computer name. What happens now when you run with the xml file you are using?

Hi All,

ComputerName

it will prompt you for a computer name, but not during installtion, it will wait for the windows welcome section, then you can enter a computer name. What happens now when you run with the xml file you are using?

It will go thru the setup and genrate a random name. Also if leave its value empty then this field will not be saved in xml file, so what I right click on the computername field and choose write an empty string so it looks like this in xml file:

<ComputerName />

I have tested other settings and they seems to be working fine. (such as putting * and then it genrate random computer name.

Other thing that I should mention that I am skipping those two settings (SkipUserOOBE and SkipMachineOOBE, I am setting these two field to true), not sure if they have anything to do with my comutername settings.

Edited by music5_5

Its late here and i'm not at work where i keep all my stuff, but i'm pretty sure that SkipMachineOOBE set to true will skip your settings for ComputerName.

In fact, i think you can't even set that to false as it should be an empty string.

Its late here and i'm not at work where i keep all my stuff, but i'm pretty sure that SkipMachineOOBE set to true will skip your settings for ComputerName.

In fact, i think you can't even set that to false as it should be an empty string.

Hi,

I have tried using SkipMachineOOBE settings to empty string but now setup asks me to create a user account instead asking me for a computer name. I would like to skip creating user but I would like to type-in the computername. Do you know if this has anything to do with SkipUserOOBE set to true?

Thanks,