best way to reinstall? Is there a repair option?

Jpok

After using my vLited Vista for about 2 weeks now, I discovered that I need Volume Shadow Copy service for a backup program. After searching the forums, I discovered that there's no quick way to reinstall the service alone, so I have to reinstall Windows.

Is there a quick way to just "repair" the Windows installation (with the updated vLite DVD that contains Volume Shadow Copy)? What's the fastest way to reinstall it without losing my settings (I've customized tons of settings by now).

Thanks for the help! Have a good day.

-Edit: Oops, forgot to mention that I'm using Vista 32-bit Ultimate

Edited by Jpok

Remake the ISO with that component kept, that's the fastest.

If you spend much time on trying to patch it up that will last longer.

Also you can't expect that you will guess what you don't need on your first try.

Gonna see about adding this to the compatibility options to ease it for the future.

Thanks for the reply, Nuhi.

Sorry for my ignorance, but say I remake the ISO with the feature installed . . . then would I have to do a full reinstall of the OS? Meaning, then will I have to start over from the beginning again?

Yes unfortunately you have to do it all over. I do some things which enable me to reinstall to the full state in one hour total.

Export some REG entries, backup certain Appdata folders, use programs that don't have to be reinstalled and put them on another partition...