WGA GenuineCheck.exe won't vaildate

Idontwantspam

Occasionally, I want to download things from Microsoft that require a WGA genuine check. I don't want to have to install the plugin for the browser, so I just download the "alternative method", then run genuinecheck.exe, and give it the code that it spits out. In the past this has always worked.

Now I installed Windows today after I managed to totally mess some stuff up, and now, I'm trying to download things requiring WGA validation. I keep getting the following error: It's not that it thinks my windows isn't genuine; it's that it can't figure it out one way or the other!

---------------------------Windows Genuine Advantage---------------------------Code not available. The validation code could not be obtained. This may be dueto technical difficulties, or you may be running an unsupported operating system. Please close this window and attempt the validation process again, or use the Back button in your Web browser to return to the download details page. [Error code: 0x8004026f]---------------------------OK---------------------------
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? A google search on the error code has turned up nothing useful. Help! ohmy.gif

This may just be what this tool was designed for... :)

http://hostfile.org/MGADiag.exe

It's a Microsoft tool for displaying all the information about the Genuine system. It should help! :thumbup

Yeah I've been on the MS WGA forums site for a while. I ran that tool, and here's what I found. BTW this is Windows XP Profession 32-bit, Dell OEM. Just reinstalled today.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
-----------------------------------------
WGA Data-->
Validation Status: Genuine
Validation Code: 0
Online Validation Code: N/A
Cached Validation Code: N/A
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
Windows Product Key Hash: (removed)
Windows Product ID: (removed. it's oem)
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
CSVLK Server: N/A
CSVLK PID: N/A
ID: {ED4D8178-3459-465A-8F0C-9AC6A0BE8638}(3)
Is Admin: Yes
TestCab: 0x0
WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
Signed By: Microsoft
Product Name: N/A
Architecture: N/A
Build lab: N/A
TTS Error: N/A
Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A
File Exists: No
Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
Office Status: 109 N/A
OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
Signed By: Microsoft
Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
Proxy settings: N/A
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
Default Browser: E:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
Active scripting: Allowed
Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Edited by Idontwantspam

Occasionally, I want to download things from Microsoft that require a WGA genuine check. I don't want to have to install the plugin for the browser, so I just download the "alternative method", then run genuinecheck.exe, and give it the code that it spits out. In the past this has always worked.

Now I installed Windows today after I managed to totally mess some stuff up, and now, I'm trying to download things requiring WGA validation. I keep getting the following error: It's not that it thinks my windows isn't genuine; it's that it can't figure it out one way or the other!

---------------------------
Windows Genuine Advantage
Code not available. The validation code could not be obtained. This may be due to technical difficulties, or you may be running an unsupported operating system. Please close this window and attempt the validation process again, or use the Back button in your Web browser to return to the download details page. [Error code: 0x8004026f]
OK

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? A google search on the error code has turned up nothing useful. Help! :o

I gotten that or similar with Windows 2000 before, because I was required to download a file from Microsoft. I thought that maybe all Windows 2000 users were screwed.

But, I see this is with XP. Thus, more likely to be a server-side problem. More likely a Microsoft server having technical difficulties.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

The only thing is, this should work without it having to contact MS. This is supposed to work without an internet connection. :unsure:

Do you remember what you did on windows 2000? I thought win2k didn't have WGA, so that sounds... odd.

You have to run that if you use Firefox to download some files from Microsoft.

That program is supposed to give you a code then you copy-paste it to the download section of Microsoft.

You have to run that for some Microsoft downloads with Windows 2000 and if using Firefox or Opera.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP