Error 8: Not enough storage space is available to process this command

MCrocker

Hi. I cannot start any services on a widows 2003 server. I am getting an error in event log:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7023

Date: 07/02/2008

Time: 08:36:38

User: N/A

Computer: EROS

Description:

The IIS Admin Service service terminated with the following error:

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This is the problem that I really need to resolve as I cannot start IIS and really need too but it is affecting almost everything.

Event 7023 seems to be a general error and I have googles LOADS and cant find anything else.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated! :-D

Thanks

Usually the "not enough storage available..." errors mean you are running out of one or more resources on the server, and usually this is a kernel pool resource (paged or nonpaged, not sure).

I would strongly suggest uninstalling any backup software, antivirus packages, and anything else installed that instalsl kernel-mode filter drivers, then make the following change in your boot.ini file and the registry:

boot.ini (make the changes in BOLD, obviously the install path in yours may be different than mine):

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Win2K3" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff /USERVA=2970 /BASEVIDEO

^^^^^

Make sure you do NOT have /3GB in your boot.ini - if you do, REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY!

Registry:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Value: PoolUsageMaximum

Type: REG_DWORD

Radix: Decimal

Data: 20

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Value: PagedPoolSize

Type: REG_DWORD

Radix: Hex

Data: FFFFFFFF

Once you make these changes, reboot and see if things work any better.

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Thanks

Likely because no pagefile or the pagefile is too small.

You may have ran out of HDD space!

Please make sure you have a pagefile of at least around 50 MB and try again.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

This error has nothing to do with the pagefile. The "storage space available" it speaks of is either kernel pool or desktop heap - remember, only the memory manager knows about RAM and the page file, not a running process; they only see 2GB of VA. This isn't a memory manager error speaking of VA, it's an error of pool or heap.

This error has nothing to do with the pagefile. The "storage space available" it speaks of is either kernel pool or desktop heap - remember, only the memory manager knows about RAM and the page file, not a running process; they only see 2GB of VA. This isn't a memory manager error speaking of VA, it's an error of pool or heap.

I seen errors that remind me of that before when I disabled virtual memory. (pagefile) Especially PCs with limited RAM.

Looks like that, to me, especially if that error code occurs with all services.

Those conditions may cause all future memory allocations to fail.

Because of all memory spaces running out, because it can't page any more to HDD at all!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I had come across this annoying error on one of our servers whose primary job it was to process hundreds of xml files every second. The server would run fine for say about a month, sometimes a little more and all of a sudden would stop servicing network requests. it was so bad that even ipconfig wouldnt work. We eventually found that this was being caused by an antivirus program that was leaking memory from the non-paged pool.

So when this error occurs take a look at the value of paged/non-paged pool in the performance tab of the task manager. Google for what values are normal and what arent ;of course this would depend on the OS and the amount of ram you have on the machine.

Incidentally does the problem persist even after a reboot?

Google for what values are normal and what arent ;of course this would depend on the OS and the amount of ram you have on the machine.

Not really - NonPaged Pool is 256MB on systems without /3GB, and 128MB on systems with. No fluctuations - it's PAGED pool that fluctuates based on RAM :). If you start getting up around 170MB or more, either you have a REALLY busy file server, or you've got a problem.

Hi. Thats for your replies but nothing worked. I tried reg changes suggested etc but no luck. The system has 2gb of RAM, no way need fully used! I have now set maximum page file size (3070-4096) on both partitions. so 6140 in total. It says in there its recomended size is 3070. I also have plenty of HDD space left on both disks..... :\

Anyone know what else may be wrong? Am kinda desperate here!.....

Edit: Also just to note that this isnt a busy file server or anything, but it is very important.

Edited by MCrocker

Hi Cluberti i am a little confused by what you said about non-paged pool not fluctuating with RAM. According to this link it does seem to fluctuate. :unsure:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2...-resources.aspx

Not entirely accurate. That those numbers are possible is entirely accurate, but those are not the usual defaults. The reason for this is that unless you use /3GB, there's 2GB of VA available to the kernel, and approximately 12.5% of that will be dedicated to npp. If on boot you have drivers or applications that memory map that use RAM, or require larger Paged Pool or PTE pool, or an increased session space, then yes, that is the "low water mark" max you will see. However, by default, the kernel will try (and almost always succeed) in mapping all of npp into RAM at 256MB (or 128MB with /3GB) - remember, kernel memory is allocated dynamically on boot unless certain registry modifications and/or boot.ini options are in place.

It's been literally YEARS since I've seen a box boot with less than 256MB of npp when 1GB of RAM or more was installed. At 512MB, this is more of an issue, but at 1GB (even 768MB is usually safe) or more, 256MB is the standard. Again, hardware drivers, startup services, and kernel-mode filter drivers can affect this dynamic allocation, but in general your machine with more than 1GB of RAM will see 256MB of npp. The OP has 2GB of RAM, so I am SURE that server has 256MB of npp as well :).

And to MCrocker, at this point I strongly suggest using poolmon to try and track this down.

Thanks for the explanation Cluberti.Well now i know that on those occasions when the kernel tries but dosen't succeed to map all 256 MB of NNP into RAM some variation :D shall we say, from the default is possible.

Anyway

MCrocker -- you could open msconfig, uncheck any startup items and 3rd party services that are not absolutely necessary, reboot and see how things go.

Edited by touchstone_81

Hi Cluberti i am a little confused by what you said about non-paged pool not fluctuating with RAM. According to this link it does seem to fluctuate. :unsure:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2...-resources.aspx

Not entirely accurate. That those numbers are possible is entirely accurate, but those are not the usual defaults. The reason for this is that unless you use /3GB, there's 2GB of VA available to the kernel, and approximately 12.5% of that will be dedicated to npp. If on boot you have drivers or applications that memory map that use RAM, or require larger Paged Pool or PTE pool, or an increased session space, then yes, that is the "low water mark" max you will see. However, by default, the kernel will try (and almost always succeed) in mapping all of npp into RAM at 256MB (or 128MB with /3GB) - remember, kernel memory is allocated dynamically on boot unless certain registry modifications and/or boot.ini options are in place.

It's been literally YEARS since I've seen a box boot with less than 256MB of npp when 1GB of RAM or more was installed. At 512MB, this is more of an issue, but at 1GB (even 768MB is usually safe) or more, 256MB is the standard. Again, hardware drivers, startup services, and kernel-mode filter drivers can affect this dynamic allocation, but in general your machine with more than 1GB of RAM will see 256MB of npp. The OP has 2GB of RAM, so I am SURE that server has 256MB of npp as well :).

And to MCrocker, at this point I strongly suggest using poolmon to try and track this down.

I have got poolmon loaded up but i dont know how to use it to be able to diagnose the problem... :/

Edit: This is straight after a reboot, and I still have the problem. And after I disabled all the unnesserary services and apps.

Memory: 2096472K Avail: 1698908K  PageFlts:   291   InRam Krnl: 2396K P:19820K
Commit: 287624K Limit:8234404K Peak: 294096K Pool N:14748K P:20268K

Looks like there is plenty of space!...

Thanks for the explanation Cluberti.Well now i know that on those occasions when the kernel tries but dosen't succeed to map all 256 MB of NNP into RAM some variation shall we say, from the default is possible.

Anyway

MCrocker -- you could open msconfig, uncheck any startup items and 3rd party services that are not absolutely necessary, reboot and see how things go.

I have also tried this. I stopped basicly every app running on start up thats not needed. Also did the same for services. Didnt help. :(

Edited by MCrocker

Does the following registry value exist, and if so what is it set to?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\IRPStackSize

(Don't worry if it does not exist, it will have a default value.)

Could you drill down to the following registry key and let us know the values and what they are set to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

(It is probably easiest to export the key to a .reg file, then open it with Notepad to paste it here.)

cluberti mentioned desktop heap earlier, there is a tool to help see what is using it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

This occurs for almost any service you try to start after booting up?

Which services do start successfully?