n00bie weird nLite problems

vaughancoveny

Hi from Craig

"Do you want to start the process?" It failed after adding the first addon.

I know people say you don't need to add stuff because of version numbers, but there are always reasons, and its available.

Abiword was the first one from the list of all the first person's addon list in the forum, luckily I went there in the nick of time, cause his were not illegal.

After completing all the steps in one cause of neccesity and time, but manually deleting only OEM in the process, which nLite can do. Doh! :angry:

Perhaps this is the reason. I integrated Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC 1 by the way into 1.4.1. Did retain Security Centre.

It corrupted the Windows hard drive folder, which was detected properly.

Service Pack integration went okay, was a little unsure about direct hotfix integration because of Silverlight, .NET Frameworks with SPs, and even nLite itself??! Not sure if nLite integration is possible, etc. Had trouble downloading MSXML Parser 3.0 Service Pack 7, 4 and 6 w/SPs from MS website, have programs that use these versions, so if integration with everything are possible, then great.

Before, I only did 3-4 steps, then rebooted and nLite disappeared, uninstalled and some files in other folders outside the Windows nLite folder disappeared! But this for the next topic, which involved another program.

If its easy to transfer that post to Security and Windows XP forums too, someone could help with that.

Acer Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 512MB RAM, XP Pro, 80GB Hard Disk Drive, Intel onboard graphic chipset 96MB RAM, USB to wireless broadband (Aussie Hutchinson 3G) - Myson memory card reader, Maxtor 320GB external hard drive, Brother HL2040 Printer: peripherals not installed, only Intel can be integrated

Before, I only did 3-4 steps, then rebooted and nLite disappeared, uninstalled and some files in other folders outside the Windows nLite folder disappeared! But this for the next topic, which involved another program.

If its easy to transfer that post to Security and Windows XP forums too, someone could help with that.

Acer Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 512MB RAM, XP Pro, 80GB Hard Disk Drive, Intel onboard graphic chipset 96MB RAM, USB to wireless broadband (Aussie Hutchinson 3G) - Myson memory card reader, Maxtor 320GB external hard drive, Brother HL2040 Printer: peripherals not installed, only Intel can be integrated

There is also a BenQ mouse, and generic PS/2 keyboard. I'll make this a signature.

Those preliminary steps worked fine when beginning the process, but had to start from scratch, not with a corrupted nLite Windows folder on C:\.

I did not delete I386 and all the important files, just the OEM stuff.

I ran nLite's installer under Altris Software Virtualisation, anyone ever used this? It doesn't do a Linux VMWare Firefox, nor Guest OSes, but more a Virtual Sandbox for programs instead of VBS Scripts. Free for personal use.

It uninstalled and all the changes after what it calls a local program capture for installing a program. Global captures affect all installations and changes to the system, but

nothing disappears on reboot. Although nLite program exited without warning, and folder became corrupted.

I am not new to nLite, I have made many blunders with it before joining this forum with a broadband modem, :thumbup so just isn't n00bie. Then again it is. :blink::sneaky:

Sorry for too many words folks.

It corrupted the Windows hard drive folder, which was detected properly.

Clarification needed here. The Service Pack 3 RC1 did not corrupt the folder, Windows nLite that is, what do you call this?

This problem belongs my first reply.

Even post previews don't work out always. :ph34r:

To be honest and without any offense intended, I don't understand a word you just wrote, eventhough it looks like English :blink::unsure:

What is the problem which you are encountering and what is your question?

A little Obsessive Compulsive Arie. :hello::whistle:

Effort involved in a complicated problem.

Okay the Windows installation was located in C:\WinXPSP2.

The "do you wish to start the process" begins and exits after the 7-Zip Addon. Corrupts the installation source.

But only on the 5th time after going through all but the "Bootable ISO" step.

I integrated Service Pack 3 RC 1 into 1.4.1 but did not remove the Security Centre according to nliteos.com news.

All addons before and they worked thru but only Service Pack Integration, Hotfixes etc, Drivers and Component removal were done.

When addons worked I ran the nLite installation program through Altiris Software Virtualisation shortly after reinstalling XP, PC Tools Internet Security, .NET Framework 2 on a full XP Pro system. The kitchen sink.

Now the Altiris program creates its own virtual machine for Software by not using a guest OS under Windows etc. Running nLite under this (because of insecure .NET Framework bloat - I could use nuhi's alternative), the first 4 steps worked, but after a shutdown/restart nLite was uninstalled, the changes to Windows source lost, and most mysteriously some files from other folders that I downloaded vanished.

I changed the configuration under Altiris but that is when the Windows source became corrupted. Although I deleted the components and OEM folders using My Computer instead of nLite. That could be the problem.

Ignore Altiris for a while because I am going through the nLite procedure without it. And use nLite to delete folders.

Has anyone heard of a conflict between nLite and Altiris, or would I rather not bother? I suppose that is not the only question I can come up with.

For some part, I would bother with a few addons/runonce, despite version upgrade criticisms.

Hopefully the illegal stuff disappears in the Addon forum because I wouldn't want it to disappear.

The moderators do warn us. Read the disclamer please.

A little Obsessive Compulsive Arie. :hello::whistle:

Don't understand? :unsure:

Has anyone heard of a conflict between nLite and Altiris, or would I rather not bother? I suppose that is not the only question I can come up with.

I'm very sorry, but again I don't believe that I understand your posting. Perhaps it's just me as I'm not English from origin? To only focus on the question above, you seem to use a kind of virtual solution by Altiris which discards changes made using nLite and such? I would suggest to uninstall this Altiris solution. If you would like to test your nLite end result, you can use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 for example, which is freeware.

You are not Obsessive Compulsive Arie, I am. Using too many confusing words.

To only focus on the question above, you seem to use a kind of virtual solution by Altiris which discards changes made using nLite and such? I would suggest to uninstall this Altiris solution. If you would like to test your nLite end result, you can use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 for example, which is freeware.

This is not the case. I a running nLite itself and not a created CD from nLite. nLite failed before I got to that stage.

Altiris does not run Operating Systems on top of other Operating Systems, unlike Virtual PC.

It is a security measure that runs Windows software in a Altiris software virtual environment. This is not Operating System creation.

It is free for personal use or a generous 120-day trial for companies. Search for Altiris Software Virtualisation Agent under Google, a very useful

program and there is barely anything like it. An original idea.

But it may not be Altiris or my mistakes with OEM and components folder deletion in My Computer instead of using nLite to perform this task.

I am not doing both now to see if the problem does not happen.

Helpful for Nuhi I suppose.

Edited by vaughancoveny

Making even less sense after reading this article unsure

Both of us will have too much difficulty learning English if we reading a confusing Wikipedia article.

Knowing what OCD is doesn't help a Half-Dutch born in Australian man, meaning me.

But the Wiki is right in saying OCD is often a off-hand turn of phrase, and I used it in that way,

way off topic.

My apologies. To the moderators as well.