MSPaint printing problems on widescreen

flarn2006

Whenever I go to print in MSPaint, the image always appears stretched. I know for a fact that it has something to do with my widescreen resolution, which is 1280x800. Is there anything I can do about it? In the attachments, circle.bmp is an example image to print, and circlepp.jpg is what appears in Print Preview (minus the lossy JPEG compression, of course :P)

Changing my resolution to one with a standard aspect ratio (such as 1024x768) fixes it, but I like the widescreen resolution because my laptop has a widescreen monitor.

circle.bmp

post-112481-1202342342_thumb.jpg

Strange indeed... I wouldn't suggest printing with Paint at all though - it tends to love doing 72-dpi printings. It's also extremely old and is really shoddy for printing, period. The only thing I really use it for is screenshots (love PrtScrn, Win+R, mspaint, Enter, ctrl+V, ctrl+S, (name), tab, p, enter, alt+F4).

But oddly enough, at my even wider 1440x900 resolution, I don't have any problems with that image:

L_moarwidescreenthanyuo.png.png

Strange indeed... I wouldn't suggest printing with Paint at all though - it tends to love doing 72-dpi printings. It's also extremely old and is really shoddy for printing, period. The only thing I really use it for is screenshots (love PrtScrn, Win+R, mspaint, Enter, ctrl+V, ctrl+S, (name), tab, p, enter, alt+F4).

But oddly enough, at my even wider 1440x900 resolution, I don't have any problems with that image:

L_moarwidescreenthanyuo.png.png

Say, what visual style is that? I would think it's Royale Noir except for the start button.

I hate to state the obvious, but ms paint is a win3.x app - you might want to use something newer, like Paint.NET.

Actually Paint didn't come out until Win95. You're thinking about Paintbrush, a much different program.

And by the way, Paint.NET uses that lousy XP Photo Printing Wizard, which can't print images in actual size -- it insists on stretching them.

Edited by flarn2006

Say, what visual style is that? I would think it's Royale Noir except for the start button.

It's part of XPize, an incredibly awesome program that has its own forum here (and is how I learned about it). It's Luna Royale Black. :)

(If I may suggest, though, if you don't have your own opinion on these options, I would suggest disabling "custom icons", "boot screen", "cursors", and "TaskSwitchXP" from the installer - they're kinda annoying)

And you're right about Paint... it has its roots in ancient Windows (even pre-3.x - it was around in 1.x, wasn't it?), but it's been totally rewritten since then, especially for Win95. From Win95 to now, though, not much has changed, but it has kept up with the basic functionality :)

(edit: Oh... and because of the crappy .NET Framework it runs on, Paint .NET takes longer to start up than Portable Photoshop CS, which I use for practically everything - opens up in 5 seconds flat from a cold start, and does everything Photoshop can do. Even nLite (another .NET app) takes 6 seconds from cold start. I hate .NET. MSPaint? About 0.25 seconds.)

Edited by Volatus