Migrate WS2003 to WS2008

Bad boy Warrior

On one domain i would like to test to migrate everything from WS2003 to WS2008, i.e. users, shares, domain etc etc. Is there a way that i can test this first before rolling it out live? So i have WS2003 running aswell as WS2008? I doubt there is but just double checking....

cheers

In these scenarios, either I would down the original domain controller, exchange, and file server boxes and copy them each to a Ghost image file one at a time and then restore to test hardware on a separate LAN, or I would make a VM using VMWare converter of each machine and then copy and load the VHDs into my virtual server(s).

a virtual environment would be your best bet, if need be, you can make rebuild the server on virtual server 2005 (or vmware server) and if you don't own the vmware convert, you can just rebuild the servers from your backups. just make sure the virtual network is seperated from the actual one

Just double checking here:

Ive used Norton Ghost 9 to make an image of my current domain.....

1. I install WS2003 as a virtual machine and then use NG9 to replace the system.

2. I have a new WS2008 to test with and can start to play with migration?

Is that all there is to it?

Also would i need to change the IP addresses/ subnet etc (on the VM) and if so would this cause any problems in clients logging on (only in the test area).

Any articles you guys aware of to give me some guide?

Guess this VM will only run for a max of 30 days due to activation. But once ive tested, how will WS2008 be reacting on the network if i left it live and the migration has gone across successfully?

Thanks

Edit: **NG9 didnt work with this server**

Edited by Bad boy Warrior