Deploying windows XP via a .wim file

MadFly

I have downloaded alot of things required to deploy winxp to other pcs on the network, but i need a .wim image of xp. not completely sure how and with what to create that image. can i make a .wim image that will install on any machine? or does the .wim image created install the drivers and all that as well? drivers and all that from the machine that it was created on?

i have a laptop that reboots all the time, when i try safe mode it hangs on mup.sys. tried replacing that file with a working one, and it went a little further. havent tried safemode after replacing the old mup.sys file.

can anyone help?

Edited by MadFly

You seem to have two different issues here, you might want to split them to two different topics.

In regards to WIM images, they are just like any other image. In general for XP the are hardware dependent. There are ways to make them more hardware independent For information on making a PR disk and capturing a wim image see the guide in the WinPE forum here: http://www.msfn.org/board/GUIDE-Creating-W...nt-t101383.html

As far as you problem with the laptop, is this a problem with an image you put on it, or is this a problem that has developed while the system was in use?

yes that is what i was looking for, making the image more hardware independant, so that i can install one image on several totally different machines. will study your guide and try it out.

the laptop problem, it developed while the laptop was in use. appearantly some IT guy changed the CRT screen that is attached to the docking station. and after the change the laptop started to reboot all the time. i tried everything that i could think of that might work. so now the laptop is back to the suppliers for repairs. (still under warranty :thumbup )

thanks... :D

can i not make a wim image from the xp cd? like say for example i make a bootable cd with nlite with all settings and everything configured. then i copy the contents of the cd to a folder and then deploy it to any pc on the lan from that folder.

or how can i let my server install windows on a new pc with as little effort as possible? like in with just the normal winxpSP2 cd? but without the actual cd...

i do hope that the information is sufficient...