DVD Drive Disappearing (Code 45)

fairyprincess

Hi,

I've been having a problem with the DVD drive on my laptop (TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA Device). After a period of time after start up Vista can no longer detect the drive is there (Code 45) so it doesn't appear under device manager, disk management or my computer and it can't be accessed via a drive letter. Once the computer had rebooted it re-appears and functions correctly so this is a software/ driver issues.

I'm trying to work out what it is as other people have reported similar problems with the same / other drives, and not just vista. One idea was that it was to do with the driver iTunes uses to burn cd's so i tried removing it (http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=DRIVERS:_Windows_-_Updating%2C_removing%2C_64_bit_versions%2C_etc#Vista.2C_Server_2003.2C_Windows_XP_and_Windows_2000) and that failed to fix the problem. The other software i use is Power ISO that has anything to do with the drive, apart from that non of my other software even touches it. I have the same problem on a full version of vista and the vlited version i use so its not to do with anything i've removed, and all drivers are upto date.

Anyone else had a similar problem/any ideas for a solution?

Edited by fairyprincess

Can you suggest a vista compatible binary firmware reader/writer, the one I've used before with xp doesn't work with vista, so i can't work out what firmware version is currently on the drive, or flash the binary image I've found online.

Thanks

Microsoft provides the HCL - www.microsoft.com/HCL , although i dont know if it has cd burners. In XP you could check the supported cd burners by checking cdrom.inf. I suppose Vista would be the same way.

In device manager are you showing hidden devices?

Could be upperfilters/lowerfilters problem. Try uninstalling the cd burner software and reinstalling it.

-gosh

Ok thanks,

Yes to view the drive when windows can't detect it i have to enable show hidden devices (also have the environment variable to show no connected devices set)

Didin't really find HCL useful, and didn't see anything in cdrom.inf that stood out to be the problem. Yeah i have tried uninstalling and re-installing the device, although not when it's "not connected", however i want it to stop not being reconised.